2001 Accord - please help diagnose drivetrain problem

Old June 17th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 2001 Accord - please help diagnose drivetrain problem

2001 Accord LX-V6, automatic, 90k miles, all services faithfully
maintained at the dealer, including recent 90k service.

I'm getting a whup-whup-whup sound from the left front (I think) that
increases and decreases in frequency with road speed. It is most
pronounced between 35 - 40 mph but is also noticeable beneath and
above that range.

It's more pronounced when accelerating away from a stop or when I have
a full tank of gas or passengers (I guess because the car is carrying
more weight).

It is also more pronounced between 40 - 35 mph when decelerating,
especially if going down a hill approaching a stop sign. When this
happens I also get symptoms similar to what you get with a warped
brake rotor (jerky motion in car), except that I don't get the
pulsating brake pedal.

The dealer has checked and found all brake rotors to be true, all
wheel bearings and suspension components to be fine. They noticed some
mild cupping in my tires and suggested I change them. I bought new
tires but that did not fix the problem - it is still there.

Any thoughts what might be causing this whup-whup noise that appears
to be in the drivetrain?

Thanks!

George

Old June 17th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

George Earl wrote:
> 2001 Accord LX-V6, automatic, 90k miles, all services faithfully
> maintained at the dealer, including recent 90k service.
>
> I'm getting a whup-whup-whup sound from the left front (I think) that
> increases and decreases in frequency with road speed. It is most
> pronounced between 35 - 40 mph but is also noticeable beneath and
> above that range.
>
> It's more pronounced when accelerating away from a stop or when I have
> a full tank of gas or passengers (I guess because the car is carrying
> more weight).
>
> It is also more pronounced between 40 - 35 mph when decelerating,
> especially if going down a hill approaching a stop sign. When this
> happens I also get symptoms similar to what you get with a warped
> brake rotor (jerky motion in car), except that I don't get the
> pulsating brake pedal.
>
> The dealer has checked and found all brake rotors to be true, all
> wheel bearings and suspension components to be fine. They noticed some
> mild cupping in my tires and suggested I change them. I bought new
> tires but that did not fix the problem - it is still there.
>
> Any thoughts what might be causing this whup-whup noise that appears
> to be in the drivetrain?
>
> Thanks!
>

> George

isn't there a recall on the v6's for transmission problems?

if you're not affected by that, check the motor mounts and the inner
drive shaft bearings.
Old June 17th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

For you own peace of mind - jack up the front end and check the wheel
bearings by pulling gently back and forth at the 12 and 6 oclock
position on the left front tire and at the 9 and 3 oclock position -
had a wheel bearing to go out on an accord and it did have the rump
rump sound at certain speeds - when i did the wheel wiggle thing - you
could feel the tire moving when tugging on it - check both sides for
comparison.

If a wheel bearing on the front wheel of a front drive car goes - there
goes your wheel - they really get loud before they go and you can feel
the steering getting loose on turns.

Let us know what u find.

Old June 17th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:18:40 -0700, jim beam >
wrote:

>isn't there a recall on the v6's for transmission problems?
>
>if you're not affected by that, check the motor mounts and the inner
>drive shaft bearings.

I'm not aware of a recall on the V-6s for transmission problems,
however they did extend the warranty on the transmissions to 100k
miles.

I guess it's back to the dealer for a more thorough inspection . . .

George

Old June 19th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:46:46 -0400, George Earl >
wrote:

>I'm not aware of a recall on the V-6s for transmission problems,
>however they did extend the warranty on the transmissions to 100k
>miles.
>
>I guess it's back to the dealer for a more thorough inspection . . .

Well it appears my automatic transmission has bitten the pooch . . .

I took it back to the dealer and went for a drive with the service
manager. Within 1/4 mile he had diagnosed it.

He was not the least bit surprised. He says he replaces so many of
these transmissions that he has two guys working full time just doing
that. Once he orders it it takes a day or two to get here and they
swap out the old one and put in the new one in about 5 hours.

I'm sure glad Honda extended the warranty on the transmission to 100k
.. . .

George