reserve fuel tank in mazda 3

Old June 10th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default reserve fuel tank in mazda 3

hi,

does any one know how much fuel is in reserve after the low fuel
warning comes on?
I know the tank size of 55L, I wanted to calculate the my milage. But I
never go beyond the warning light.

Any suggestsions.

Old June 11th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Well, if you fill it up whne the light comes on, how many liters does
it take?

My expereinece has been at least 8 to 10 liters are left, except for a
Ford LTD company vehicle. It would mark 1/4 tank left when it was
dry.

Old June 11th 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Agreed, you are trying to measure fuel consumption in an odd way. This is
how to do it.

1. Reset the trip odometer, (or write down the number on the main odo)
2. Fill the tank to the brim.
3. Drive around until the "low fuel" light is on.
4. Refil to the brim. Take note of the reading on the fuel pump, this gives
the quantity of fuel consumed. (F)
5. Write down the trip odo reading, or subtract the recorded trip reading
from the current one. this gives the distance traveled.
6. Divide one by the other, to give fuel consumption. (either MPG or L/K)

Old June 11th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Mal Osborne" > wrote in
:

> Agreed, you are trying to measure fuel consumption in an odd way.
> This is how to do it.
>
> 1. Reset the trip odometer, (or write down the number on the main
> odo) 2. Fill the tank to the brim.
> 3. Drive around until the "low fuel" light is on.
> 4. Refil to the brim. Take note of the reading on the fuel pump,
> this gives the quantity of fuel consumed. (F)
> 5. Write down the trip odo reading, or subtract the recorded trip
> reading from the current one. this gives the distance traveled.
> 6. Divide one by the other, to give fuel consumption. (either MPG
> or L/K)

Correct and if you want to know your real fuel consumption, do the
above for an entire year. That will give measure of driving in all
types of weather and conditions and will tend to average out the
variations in how full you get the tank each time.
Old June 13th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E wrote:

> Correct and if you want to know your real fuel consumption, do the
> above for an entire year. That will give measure of driving in all
> types of weather and conditions and will tend to average out the
> variations in how full you get the tank each time.

I can see doing it for a while to get an idea of gas mileage, or as a
diagnotic to see if the car is using too much fuel, but if my friends &
family saw me writing in a book and doing mpg calculations every time I
filled up with gas for an entire year, I think, (and hope), that they
would step in for my own good.

It's called obsessive compulsive disorder, and there are drugs to treat
that. ;-)

Pat
Old June 13th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2006-06-13, pws > wrote:
> XS11E wrote:
>
>> Correct and if you want to know your real fuel consumption, do the
>> above for an entire year.

You don't need to do the above every time. You only need to
record the odometer reading twice: once at the start of the
experiement and once at the end. Likewise, you only need to do
on calculation:

mpg = (OdoEnd-OdoStart)*(total gas used)

>> That will give measure of driving in all types of weather and
>> conditions and will tend to average out the variations in how
>> full you get the tank each time.

> I can see doing it for a while to get an idea of gas mileage,
> or as a diagnotic to see if the car is using too much fuel,
> but if my friends & family saw me writing in a book and doing
> mpg calculations every time I filled up with gas for an entire
> year, I think, (and hope), that they would step in for my own
> good.

I would think that calculating average mileage over 4-5
tankfuls ought to be sufficient to get an accurate number.

> It's called obsessive compulsive disorder, and there are drugs
> to treat that. ;-)

If it's not hurting anything, why worry?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! Am I in
at Milwaukee?
Old June 13th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Grant Edwards wrote:

> If it's not hurting anything, why worry?

I was just giving him a hard time, as usual. That's what the wink was
about, the statement was purely tongue in cheek. :-)

Pat

Old June 13th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Grant Edwards > wrote in
:

>> XS11E wrote:
>>
>>> Correct and if you want to know your real fuel consumption, do
>>> the above for an entire year.
>>> That will give measure of driving in all types of weather and
>>> conditions and will tend to average out the variations in how
>>> full you get the tank each time.

> I would think that calculating average mileage over 4-5
> tankfuls ought to be sufficient to get an accurate number.

Yes, it will give you a fairly accurate number but that's not why you
keep a check over the life of the car. You need a running check to
tell you of impending trouble, sometimes a drop in fuel economy is the
very first sign of needing new spark plugs, plug wires, clogged fuel
passages, leaky injectors, etc. Even serious alignment problems will
show up as a drop in economy before you'll see tire wear, some brake
problems will also show up first as a change in economy.

You start the log to establish normal economy and continue as a
maintainence tool, one of the very best there is for early detection of
problems. It takes only a couple of minutes when you fill up to keep
track.

Old June 13th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E wrote:

> Yes, it will give you a fairly accurate number but that's not why you
> keep a check over the life of the car. You need a running check to
> tell you of impending trouble, sometimes a drop in fuel economy is the
> very first sign of needing new spark plugs, plug wires, clogged fuel
> passages, leaky injectors, etc. Even serious alignment problems will
> show up as a drop in economy before you'll see tire wear, some brake
> problems will also show up first as a change in economy.
>
> You start the log to establish normal economy and continue as a
> maintainence tool, one of the very best there is for early detection of
> problems. It takes only a couple of minutes when you fill up to keep
> track.

There are way too many variables there for me. I would have to track
highway versus city driving and how hard I was using my foot for that
gas tank full versus the last one.

A heavy foot in town will result in a lot worse gas mileage, but even
that could not be measured with any accuracy because it becomes a matter
of how hard you hit that gas pedal and how often.
Trying to keep up with something like that would be impossible unless
you drive the same way all of the time.

I have gotten well over 300 miles out of a tank full. I have also gotten
well under 200 miles. This was an indication of my driving habits far
more than it was an indication of the condition of the car.

BTW, I am going to notice a serious alignment issue on a miata before
gas mileage or tire wear becomes an issue. There isn't a problem that is
much easier to notice on a miata than a bad alignment.

As far as plug wires, in over 7 years of reading posts on here, I have
never seen even one diagnosis of bad spark plug wires based on fuel economy.
It is always someone wondering why their engine has started hesitating
at low rpm's, every single time.

New spark plugs? That is normal maintenance. Clogged fuel passages? That
will result in a noticeable lack of power, no writing in a manual at
fillups required.
Leaky injectors? Gasoline has a very strong smell, my nose has always
pointed me towards fuel leak problems anywhere on the car. If it is
leaking enough to affect your gas mileage, the smell is going to be very
strong.

Pat
Old June 13th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pws > wrote in
:

> XS11E wrote:
> There are way too many variables there for me.

That's why you run a check over a long time.

It works, I've done it for many years. I used to have an old VW that
was a perfect example, over a period of time it would drop exactly one
mpg, new plugs, set valves and timing and it went back up. There were
no other symptoms, before a tuneup it ran like a total piece of crap
and after a tuneup it ran like a total piece of crap but with better
mileage.... :-(