Suspension Springs for 1976 Rabbit?

Old December 16th 04, 12:59 AM
HerHusband

Default Suspension Springs for 1976 Rabbit?

I recently put a set of reconditioned BBS 14x6.5 wheels with 195/60-14
tires on my 1976 Rabbit. They look nice and the car drives well.

However, when I hit a significant bump in the road, the left front tire
scrapes the front fender! That one wheel is the only wheel that I have
noticed scraping like that, even though the car seems to sit level all the
way around.

I just installed a new set of Boge Turbogas shocks, so I know the shocks
are good.

I noticed yesterday that just standing on the front bumper I can almost get
the fender to contact the wheel. I only weigh about 200 pounds, so I can
easily see why the tire is scraping out on the road.

I'm guessing the springs are old and sagging, so I've been looking for a
replacement set. However, everything I have run across so far is designed
to stiffen and LOWER the suspension.

I've outgrown the need for speed, and don't want to lower my car anymore
than it already is. I wouldn't mind a bit stronger spring, but I don't want
to lose my stock ride quality either.

Can anyone direct me to a source of springs for my 1976 Rabbit?

Thanks,

Anthony
Old December 16th 04, 01:01 AM
Nate Nagel

HerHusband wrote:

> I recently put a set of reconditioned BBS 14x6.5 wheels with 195/60-14
> tires on my 1976 Rabbit. They look nice and the car drives well.
>
> However, when I hit a significant bump in the road, the left front tire
> scrapes the front fender! That one wheel is the only wheel that I have
> noticed scraping like that, even though the car seems to sit level all the
> way around.
>
> I just installed a new set of Boge Turbogas shocks, so I know the shocks
> are good.
>
> I noticed yesterday that just standing on the front bumper I can almost get
> the fender to contact the wheel. I only weigh about 200 pounds, so I can
> easily see why the tire is scraping out on the road.
>
> I'm guessing the springs are old and sagging, so I've been looking for a
> replacement set. However, everything I have run across so far is designed
> to stiffen and LOWER the suspension.
>
> I've outgrown the need for speed, and don't want to lower my car anymore
> than it already is. I wouldn't mind a bit stronger spring, but I don't want
> to lose my stock ride quality either.
>
> Can anyone direct me to a source of springs for my 1976 Rabbit?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anthony

Does H&R still make the SofSports? I don't think those lower the car
much at all and still give a decent ride.

Alternately, you could just grab the springs and struts from a Rabbit
GTI if you find one in a junkyard. Probably will need new strut
cartridges though.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 16th 04, 01:01 AM
Nate Nagel

Old December 16th 04, 01:52 AM
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote:

> HerHusband wrote:
>
>> I recently put a set of reconditioned BBS 14x6.5 wheels with 195/60-14
>> tires on my 1976 Rabbit. They look nice and the car drives well.
>>
>> However, when I hit a significant bump in the road, the left front
>> tire scrapes the front fender! That one wheel is the only wheel that I
>> have noticed scraping like that, even though the car seems to sit
>> level all the way around.
>>
>> I just installed a new set of Boge Turbogas shocks, so I know the
>> shocks are good.
>>
>> I noticed yesterday that just standing on the front bumper I can
>> almost get the fender to contact the wheel. I only weigh about 200
>> pounds, so I can easily see why the tire is scraping out on the road.
>>
>> I'm guessing the springs are old and sagging, so I've been looking for
>> a replacement set. However, everything I have run across so far is
>> designed to stiffen and LOWER the suspension.
>>
>> I've outgrown the need for speed, and don't want to lower my car
>> anymore than it already is. I wouldn't mind a bit stronger spring, but
>> I don't want to lose my stock ride quality either.
>>
>> Can anyone direct me to a source of springs for my 1976 Rabbit?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Anthony

> Does H&R still make the SofSports? I don't think those lower the car
> much at all and still give a decent ride.
>
> Alternately, you could just grab the springs and struts from a Rabbit
> GTI if you find one in a junkyard. Probably will need new strut
> cartridges though.
>
> nate

Oh yeah forgot to mention, Turbo Gas are complete crap. I destroyed a
set of those in maybe two years (84 Rabbit GTI so probably the exact
same inserts that you bought.) I dunno why they are still sold, you'd
think someone who made such an execrable product would be out of
business by now. The originals last 100K miles, why can't Boge make
struts that go more than 30?

nate

Old December 16th 04, 01:52 AM
Nate Nagel

Old December 16th 04, 04:17 AM
Biz

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> Oh yeah forgot to mention, Turbo Gas are complete crap. I destroyed a
> set of those in maybe two years (84 Rabbit GTI so probably the exact
> same inserts that you bought.) I dunno why they are still sold, you'd
> think someone who made such an execrable product would be out of
> business by now. The originals last 100K miles, why can't Boge make
> struts that go more than 30?

Boge warrants those for quite awhile, if one goes bad its a free replacement
last time I checked.

Old December 16th 04, 04:17 AM
Biz

Old December 16th 04, 10:12 PM
N8N

I didn't feel like bothering to warranty the inserts, I ended up
keeping the car long enough I would have likely replaced them again
before I got rid of it. I got a good deal on a set of lightly used
Koni yellows so it was a no-brainer decision.

Another thing I just realized on rereading this thread - I have a
feeling this would be less of a problem with 185/60s which I believe
would be a more appropriate tire size for this car. (it's what was
used on the later Rabbit GTI.)

Oddly enough, I'm following this thread because I believe I have a set
of the exact wheels under discussion in my shed and I will probably be
getting an A2 Golf in the near future, so the two might end up being
put together (it has an old set of teardrops on it now which are
showing their age...)

nate

lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 16th 04 11:38 PM
E28 - lowering suspension on M535i to M5 level - how much? bfd BMW 5 November 2nd 04 05:16 PM
Suspension AND Body lift? JoeArmy99 4x4 16 June 27th 04 06:08 PM
Alfa 156 GTA vs A4 with sports suspension? MacIglebek Alfa Romeo 5 May 24th 04 05:47 AM