4WD vs. AWD

Old January 21st 04, 11:32 AM
Exit

Chris Phillipo wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>>
>>> Any system of AWD/4wd that can be used on pavement WILL NOT perform
>>> as well off-road or in real severe conditions.

>> Why?
>>

> Since the front and rear axle are not binded together by a solid
> mechanical linkage in most AWD systems you could end up in a situation
> where all or some of your power is going to only the front or rear
> drive wheels.

Possibly correct, but Matt says it is impossible for a 4WD system that can
be used on-road to perform as well off-road as a part-time system which is
wrong.

My full-time 4WD works very well on-road and has a solid mechanical diff
that locks the front and rear axles together completely making it identical
to a part-time 4WD system when off-road.

--
Julian
---------

Old January 21st 04, 04:32 PM
Matt Mead

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:32:49 GMT, "Exit" > wrote:

>My full-time 4WD works very well on-road and has a solid mechanical diff
>that locks the front and rear axles together completely making it identical
>to a part-time 4WD system when off-road.
>
>--
>Julian

Sorry, I thought I made the point that an AWD or 4WD system is only as
capable off-road if it has a way to lock the transfer case. (In fact,
the GM product mentioned has such a thing.......)

Well, it looks like at least Chris got my point....

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Old January 21st 04, 04:32 PM
Matt Mead

Old January 21st 04, 04:57 PM
Exit

Matt Mead wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:32:49 GMT, "Exit" > wrote:
>
>> My full-time 4WD works very well on-road and has a solid mechanical
>> diff that locks the front and rear axles together completely making
>> it identical to a part-time 4WD system when off-road.
>>
>> --
>> Julian

> Sorry, I thought I made the point that an AWD or 4WD system is only as
> capable off-road if it has a way to lock the transfer case. (In fact,
> the GM product mentioned has such a thing.......)

That may have been your point, but this is what you typed:

Old January 21st 04, 04:57 PM
Exit

Old January 21st 04, 09:22 PM
Matt Mead

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:57:59 GMT, "Exit" > wrote:

>That may have been your point, but this is what you typed:
>
>'Any system of AWD/4wd that can be used on pavement WILL NOT perform as
>well off-road or in real severe conditions'
>
>--
>Julian
>---------

Of course you are right Julian. My apologies......

Old January 21st 04, 09:22 PM
Matt Mead

Old January 22nd 04, 11:53 PM
bowgus

I'd say this is the perfect time of year to head down to the dealers for a
test spin ... try em out ... see what you think.

"RobertS975" > wrote in message
> Looking at various Yukon XL/ Denali models. Is there an advantage to 4WD

vs AWD
> vehicles? My 97 GMC Suburban will go through deep snow if needed. Will a

newer