F-150 owners - Mileage without Engine repair in F-150 Ford Truck

Old December 26th 03, 05:15 PM
zxcvar

Default F-150 owners - Mileage without Engine repair in F-150 Ford Truck

Greetings! What sort of mileage you did before you have to do some
repair in your F-150? My son has about 140,000 miles in his 4x2 Ford
F-150 4x2 Extended cab truck's odometer in about 6 1/2 years without
any thing performed in the engine. Will he need something to be
performed to the engine of his F-150 truck soon? With thanks.
Old December 26th 03, 10:24 PM
George

"zxcvar" > wrote in message
m...
> Greetings! What sort of mileage you did before you have to do some
> repair in your F-150? My son has about 140,000 miles in his 4x2 Ford
> F-150 4x2 Extended cab truck's odometer in about 6 1/2 years without
> any thing performed in the engine. Will he need something to be
> performed to the engine of his F-150 truck soon? With thanks.

Its not a very fair question. Things breaking or wearing out depend greatly
on how the truck is treated. I bought a 96 F150 with a 351 that had 214k on
it. At 230k, I took it on a 10k mile trip. I sold it cause I think the cam
was starting to go bad. It was probably luck that it held together for so
long, and your son should be happy if he hasn't had to tear into his. If a
compression check shows it to be good, and he's not using oil, then I would
presume that its not going to fall apart overnite. On the other hand,
things do begin to go bad that will add up to big repairs. Things like ball
joints are a common expense, but if you have to do shocks, exhaust, brakes,
and a fuel pump, you won't be very happy when a week later, you have to do
an engine or transmission rebuild. So, he either needs to commit to keeping
it and doing repairs as they come along, or start shopping for a new or
newer truck before it turns into a money pit. There's my .02. . . . .

Old December 26th 03, 10:24 PM
George

m...

Old December 27th 03, 04:17 AM
Martin Chase

160,000 on my '93 w 351, with nothing but a alternater replaced...
Drive it ez, warm it before go, etc.
use Lucas Oil Extender, it prevents unlubed starts.
run heavy 20w-50 oil.
Basics/sense.
Good luck.

PS- Check f-150.com and oher Ford Truck sites for user Q+A, many good
tips therien!

Old December 27th 03, 07:36 AM

I just bought a '79 model F-150 for $700.00 it has 165,000 miles on
it, it runs and drives great looks like hell. Except for an exhaust
manifold leak and needing a valve cover gasket it seems to have been a
great buy.

Old December 27th 03, 08:17 AM
T T

This also depends greatly on the type of engine.........my '97 f-150
x-cab is on it's second 4.2 v-6 engine. It suffered major damage to the
motor upon startup at about 85,000 miles due to the well documented
coolant cover gasket failure and recall/repair failure. Amazing how a
problem can be as common as this one and FoMoCo does nothing about