Strange Compression test results anybody have any experience with this?

Old March 28th 05, 07:18 AM
Howling Motor Sports

Default Strange Compression test results anybody have any experience with this?

I am officially welcoming myself to the world of BMW ownership. I just
purchased a 1992 325i E36. The car will turnover but will not start, it was
very disturbing too look under the hood and see no battery I was amazed that
the car even turned over with no battery but alas a look in the trunk and
there it was... Anyway there was a compression test done on the car and the
first 3 cylinders have basically no compression the last 3 seem to be ok.
When I turned the car over I did not hear any clacking or rapping noises it
didn't sound like anything had broken loose internally. I am hoping someone
out there might have some insight into this. I am trying to use some
logical deduction to make an educated guess at the problem but am going in
circles. Here are some of my thoughts any insight would be truly
appreciated.

Valves could have 3 open valves, but find this stange all three would pop
open at once. Could this be a broken camshaft?

Rings could be worn or shot rings but all 3 at the same time again not sure
if that is likely or not.

Head gasket? Could it be leaking at these 3 cylinders only? Seems to be
the most logical thought at this point.

Total meltdown the crankshaft could have sprung those 3 rods free and now
the pistons are not moving at all?

You can see my circular thought process here and I am not a mechanic only
trying to apply what I have been able to read. Through hours of googling I
have not found a similiar scenario with no compression in multiple
cylinders.

Thanks!
Dan

Old March 28th 05, 02:00 PM
Tom Wright

Howling Motor Sports wrote:
> I am officially welcoming myself to the world of BMW ownership. I just
> purchased a 1992 325i E36. The car will turnover but will not start, it was
> very disturbing too look under the hood and see no battery I was amazed that
> the car even turned over with no battery but alas a look in the trunk and
> there it was... Anyway there was a compression test done on the car and the
> first 3 cylinders have basically no compression the last 3 seem to be ok.
> When I turned the car over I did not hear any clacking or rapping noises it
> didn't sound like anything had broken loose internally. I am hoping someone
> out there might have some insight into this. I am trying to use some
> logical deduction to make an educated guess at the problem but am going in
> circles. Here are some of my thoughts any insight would be truly
> appreciated.
>
> Valves could have 3 open valves, but find this stange all three would pop
> open at once. Could this be a broken camshaft?
>
> Rings could be worn or shot rings but all 3 at the same time again not sure
> if that is likely or not.
>
> Head gasket? Could it be leaking at these 3 cylinders only? Seems to be
> the most logical thought at this point.
>
> Total meltdown the crankshaft could have sprung those 3 rods free and now
> the pistons are not moving at all?
>
> You can see my circular thought process here and I am not a mechanic only
> trying to apply what I have been able to read. Through hours of googling I
> have not found a similiar scenario with no compression in multiple
> cylinders.
>
> Thanks!
> Dan

How about a broken timing chain?
Old March 28th 05, 04:24 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Howling Motor Sports" > wrote
>I am officially welcoming myself to the world of BMW ownership. I just
>purchased a 1992 325i E36. The car will turnover but will not start, it
>was very disturbing too look under the hood and see no battery I was amazed
>that the car even turned over with no battery but alas a look in the trunk
>and there it was... Anyway there was a compression test done on the car
>and the first 3 cylinders have basically no compression the last 3 seem to
>be ok. When I turned the car over I did not hear any clacking or rapping
>noises it didn't sound like anything had broken loose internally. I am
>hoping someone out there might have some insight into this. I am trying to
>use some logical deduction to make an educated guess at the problem but am
>going in circles. Here are some of my thoughts any insight would be truly
>appreciated.
>
> Valves could have 3 open valves, but find this stange all three would pop
> open at once. Could this be a broken camshaft?

I'm guessing that one cam - the M50 is a dual-cam engine - is broken
and the intake or exhaust side is frozen in one position.

Floyd

Old March 29th 05, 06:05 AM
Howling Motor Sports

Just a quick update on this. I started to pull the valve cover off today.
I was suprised at what a simple task this is accept when you aren't in your
own garage and strip a nut DANG. I'll be completing the removal tomorrow.
Not sure if it will give me any more of a clue but I'll post an update
anyway. I'll snap off some pics so those of you who aren't as brave/stupid
as I am can get a look at the internals of the ultimate driving machine.

~Dan
. com...

Old March 29th 05, 07:39 AM
Howling Motor Sports

Would there be any audible clues too a broken timing chain?

Thanks,
Dan

Old March 30th 05, 01:01 AM
Tom Wright

Not that I'm aware of.

Howling Motor Sports wrote:
> Would there be any audible clues too a broken timing chain?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
> "Tom Wright" > wrote in message
>
>>How about a broken timing chain?

'96 T & C temp control problem. Fieronut Chrysler 6 February 3rd 05 02:13 AM
OBD emission test question LenS Technology 3 December 30th 04 02:37 AM
Compression test question Kevin S Jeep 3 December 22nd 04 11:46 PM
Compression Test Dave Skirrow Technology 22 December 13th 04 05:37 PM
Dumb question regarding compression test on Audi a4 1.8t G Audi 5 June 23rd 04 06:47 PM