Gas Cap vs Chk Eng Lite

Old March 15th 05, 03:58 AM
Patrick

I have a small leak in my down pipe after hitting a rock, When im stuck in
the traffic for too long the sensor will detect the small leak and will give
me check engine and then the GC is running terrible. I disconnect the
battery for 10 Sec and tada the light dissapear. The code might stay log in
the computer but it's running ok and not worse or better on gas then before.

Pat

uUpZd.11484$ju.9519@okepread07...

Old March 15th 05, 04:13 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Patrick,
Your computer defaulting into the safe mode, makes me think your
Crank Position Sensor is about to fail, as unplugging it is essentially
what you're doing by disconnecting the battery:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...tdcsensor.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 15th 05, 05:43 PM
Jeff Strickland

Actually, I like your link. It has an error on P0439 & P0440, but this is
nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Whether pulling the codes by swithcing the ignition off and on, or by
usingthe code reader tool, the error remains the same, and the rest is
beside the point, I suppose.

Old March 15th 05, 09:29 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jeff,
I am curious as to why you have to guess there's PO440 code, when
one's not listed? This list clearly indicates to me, there's a code
PO439 for a V8 and one for another computer and six.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 15th 05, 11:09 PM
Jeff Strickland

Because in the past 6 weeks the Check light came on on my daughter's truck,
and the code was P0440. There were other codes as well, but they all related
to an open in the fuel system somewhere. She said that she found the gas cap
not fitted properly, and this can contribute to the other codes we got. We
got three codes in total, but I only remember the P0440 without looking at
the choices.

All I was pointing out was that the link you posted, just by chance, lists
two P0439 codes, but the second of them should be P0440. P0440 simply means
the Evaporative Control System is open. Check another ODB II Code List to
confirm. And, the second digit is 0 (zero) not O (uppercase o).

Old March 16th 05, 12:30 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jeff,
Dodge truck? I don't have the chart for their numbers, they may
like other Chrysler products such as the Cruiser:
http://www.ptcruizer.com/computer-codes.html of which 442, 455, and 457
are similar numbers to the Grand Cherokee we were talking about, of
which a loose cap may have thrown P0442, P0455 P0456, P0457, and/or
P0624: http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 16th 05, 12:57 AM
Jeff Strickland

Actually, no, it is a Toyota Truck. But the OBDII information on this site,
http://www.wattora.com/Mods/OBDII/, says that all vehicles use mostly the
same codes. So, if a vehicle makes a P0440, then all vehicles that make the
code have the same problem and all vehicles that have the problem make the
same code. There are some codes that are manufacturer specific, and I am
ignoring these for the moment.

Having said that, I notice several descrepancies in the link I posted and
the one you posted so I must not fully understand all that I think I know.

All I was saying is that in the link you posted, there is a code, P0439 that
says two different things. The second thing it says is really code P0440. I
am sure this is nothing more than a typo on the part of whomever created the
list, and the proofreaders were simply dizzy from all of the data that looks
nearly identical from one line to the next.

And, it turns out my daughter's gas cap tossed up a 440, 441, and 446 if
anybody cares.

Old March 16th 05, 12:58 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

There is a P0440 on a rice burner:
http://www.troublecodes.net/mitsu/

Old March 16th 05, 01:15 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's the flaw in your thinking, the Cherokee is not Japanese,
yet.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 16th 05, 01:18 AM
Marc

In article >, says...
> Hi Jeff,
> Dodge truck? I don't have the chart for their numbers, they may
> like other Chrysler products such as the Cruiser:

http://www.ptcruizer.com/computer-codes.html of which 442, 455, and 457
> are similar numbers to the Grand Cherokee we were talking about, of
> which a loose cap may have thrown P0442, P0455 P0456, P0457, and/or
> P0624: http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
> >
> > Because in the past 6 weeks the Check light came on on my daughter's truck,
> > and the code was P0440. There were other codes as well, but they all related
> > to an open in the fuel system somewhere. She said that she found the gas cap
> > not fitted properly, and this can contribute to the other codes we got. We
> > got three codes in total, but I only remember the P0440 without looking at
> > the choices.
> >
> > All I was pointing out was that the link you posted, just by chance, lists
> > two P0439 codes, but the second of them should be P0440. P0440 simply means
> > the Evaporative Control System is open. Check another ODB II Code List to
> > confirm. And, the second digit is 0 (zero) not O (uppercase o).

I just got a 0442 on my 01' WJ and it was the darned gas cap. $10.95
later from the dealer and my problem was fixed

93 Accord ABS lite & whining sound?????????? Paul Honda 2 December 12th 04 10:31 PM
wanted: left front driving lite assembly picaza Mazda 2 December 3rd 04 12:57 AM
engine lite ker Dodge 0 September 14th 04 07:53 PM
Check engine lite. mojoy2 Dodge 0 August 22nd 04 06:42 AM