Gunk

Old February 7th 05, 01:44 AM
popeyeball

Default Gunk

Hello Professors,
I want to inspect my motor mounts and transmission mounts on my 97 TJ.
To be honest I am not exactly sure where they are located or how many
of either. I have given the area a blast at the quarter car wash but
it's still a dark mess down there. Are they best viewed from above or
below or both? I was thinking of applying Gunk to the region but am
afraid I may damage a hose or something with this application. What is
the consensus?
Thanks,
Steve

Old February 7th 05, 01:52 AM
DougW

popeyeball did pass the time by typing:
> Hello Professors,
> I want to inspect my motor mounts and transmission mounts on my 97 TJ.
> To be honest I am not exactly sure where they are located or how many
> of either. I have given the area a blast at the quarter car wash but
> it's still a dark mess down there. Are they best viewed from above or
> below or both? I was thinking of applying Gunk to the region but am
> afraid I may damage a hose or something with this application. What is
> the consensus?

One either side of the engine and the other below the tranny.
You should replace them all at the same time or the engine won't
sit level.

The TJ isn't exacly like the ZJ but mebby this will help
http://members.cox.net/douglas.wilson/motormount/

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old February 7th 05, 01:54 AM
DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:

>> .... I was thinking of applying Gunk to the region but am
>> afraid I may damage a hose or something with this application. What is
>> the consensus?

Oh.. and to answer your other question.

Just keep the cleaner away from the belts and avoid spraying water
directly at the distributor or valve covers and you will be fine.

Old February 7th 05, 08:08 PM
popeyeball

Thanks for the input. Does anyone else want to speak up on my queries?

Old February 7th 05, 08:33 PM
Mike Romain

I use two people to check them. One inside holding the brake down while
giving it gas in gear and the other outside watching what the engine
does.

The person inside lets up on the clutch until the engine grabs while
holding the brake down and keeping the rpm up a bit and you watch the
engine. It should twist. If it lifts on one side or you hear a clunk,
you have a bad mount.

Repeat this in reverse. Same deal if it lifts or clunks you have a bad
mount on that side.

While doing both of these, if the gearshift goes side to side bad, or
the tail of the engine wags you have a bad tranny mount. You can go
under with a pry bar and lift up on that one to double check it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 7th 05, 08:34 PM
Dave Milne

your first post didn't come through on my server..

I cleaned up my Waggy using gunk, and blasted/rinsed it all off meticulously
with a pressure washer.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

oups.com...

Old February 7th 05, 09:14 PM
popeyeball

I have an old can of Gunk that pours out, it's probably 10 years old.
I should probably invest a few bucks in a new can. Is this best poured
on or using a brush? Thanks

Old February 7th 05, 09:41 PM
Dave Milne

I brushed it on. Don't get it on your hands for too long.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
ups.com...