93 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Old April 7th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 93 Jeep Cherokee Sport

It's happened again. I kicked myself in the ass for years after
parting with my '87 Cherokee Pioneer in 1993. I'm now doing the same
after selling my '98 Cherokee Classic and '98 TJ last year. Now, I've
got a line on a '93 Cherokee Sport with 250K on the clock. Guy who
has it now sounds like he's been around the block with a wrench and
says he's gone over it pretty well and has replaced those things which
need repair or replacing. I recognize it's impossible to diagnose via
newsgroup, but anything in particular I should watch out for on a '93
with this kind of mileage?

Thanks!

-Mark
Old April 7th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That's a lot of mileage. How much is he asking? For the right price, and
if the body is good, I would certainly consider it.

Earle

Old April 7th 06, 11:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

He's asking $2250. Claims the body is rust free and is in overall
excellent condition.

-Mark

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 19:34:23 -0600, "Earle Horton"
> wrote:

>That's a lot of mileage. How much is he asking? For the right price, and
>if the body is good, I would certainly consider it.
>
>Earle

.. .

Old April 7th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I would check the drivers side floor board carefully and the front door
hinge posts for rot. That was about the year that the doors liked to
fall off...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 7th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

This sounds reasonable, even allowing for the fact that I can't see the
vehicle. For this price, even if you need a few big repairs over the next
ten years or so, you should get good transportation out of it. (I like to
buy ten year old vehicles. There is the right balance of still-usable body,
mechanical systems still mostly OK, and parts still available.)

Earle

news

Old April 10th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Well, I did it. Got it for $1950. Checked the floorboards and door
hinges as suggested. Went right to Fleet Farm right away and got a
set of tires on it because what was on it probably woudn't have gotten
me home. My better half is somewhat skeptical. She thinks I just
flushed a ****load of money down the crapper. I will think of it as
my project car.

I am concerned, however, about a constant squeak-squeak-squeak noise
at idle. Could it be a water pump? Serp belt? Don't hear it at
speed. Also, when coming to a stop, idle seems to drop off and almost
die out. Throttle body or Throttle Position Sensor need a good
cleaning? TPS or Crank Position Sensor need replacing?

Thanks for any advice!

-Mark
'93 XJ

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:40:06 -0600, "Earle Horton"

Old April 10th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Probably a decent buy. Squeek could well be either the water pump or
more likely (high pitched chirp) the idler pulley. Use a mechanics
stethescope or a long screwdriver to localize the sound. The idle
droop is most likely the throttle position sensor or it's connector or
just a plain old filthy throttle body. Clean the TPS, IAC, and all
throttle body parts really well with sensor safe cleaner. I had to
remove the whole throttle body and clean it in an untrasonic tank to
get all the crap out, but that may have been a bit extreme. In the
end, I also replaced the O2 sensor to get rid of the last bit of
unstable idle but I have an 88 with the old Renix computer system so
your later MOPAR may react differently. Save the O2 sensor for last
and make sure the line between the MAP sensor and the throttle body is
clear (I had to use a dril bit to clean the port on the tb to get mine
right). Mine took months to finally get straightened out - seemed
like everything I did helped "some" but it was a slow process to get
it exactly right to suit me. The O2 sensor was the only new part I
needed and the fact that it was running too rich at idle (light smoke,
oily tailpipe) finally clued me to that

--
Will Honea
Old April 10th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks for the advice. I will check all of those things out.
Yeah... I think I got a decent enough deal. Other than a piece of
that "Sport" body side moulding (you know the stuff with the red
stripe through it) missing and a few flaws in the sealcoat up around
the roof rack, the body is in really, really good shape. No surface
rust at all. Someone really cobbled an aftermarket cruise control on
it, tho. It works, but you oughta see the wiring mess under the dash.
Any idea where a code reader hooks up on a '93?

-Mark
'93 XJ

Old April 10th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Pull the floor mats back and check under them for rust, especially at
the front of the driver's side - the genius that designed that bit of
sheetmetal put a depression with no drain in the front corner - that
was the sole rust I found on my 88. I'm not sure, but I think the OBD
II connector is under the dash between the parking brake and the
steering column.