Oil Question

Old February 24th 05, 11:11 PM

Default Oil Question

Here's a thought.

Anyboy used synthetic oil and what do you think of it? I've just
overhauled a motor but didn't go into the case, just new pistons and
cylinders. I seem to remember you couldn't use synthetic oil straight
out of the gate. Someone please refresh my memory and give me the
benifit of your experience.

Should I break it in with something else first? Or should I even
consider synthetics?

Thanks,
<><
TC

Old February 24th 05, 11:35 PM
tricky

dont know about beaking it in but the main reson for not using sythetic
oil is cost.
Synthetics have the advantage of not breaking down, but in an air cooled
VDub you still have to replace it ever 1000 - 3000 miles depending on
driving /climate conditions. More where breaking in !!
So it will get costly compared to organic oil which is perfectly able to
last the recomended milage.

Rich

Old February 25th 05, 02:42 AM
Mike64Bug

I ran across an interesting article on motor oil on a non-vw website a while back. It's very informative. I don't
think it answers the "should I use synthetic oil in my aircooled VW" question but has some good information anyway.

http://www.boss302.com/oil.htm

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle

Old February 25th 05, 07:36 AM
bill may

dont use synthetic oil in new/rebuilt aircooled vw engine-- rings will
never seat breakin with dino oil then after 500 miles change out to
synthetic if you really want syn. type oil (porsche uses syn. oil-i
dont)

Old February 26th 05, 12:27 AM
Mike64Bug

Thanks Bill. Do you use synthetic in your VW? Do you notice any difference in cooling ability?

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle