Ordered my 2005 E60... further thoughts on active steering and ARS?

Old October 8th 04, 02:04 AM
david olson

Default Ordered my 2005 E60... further thoughts on active steering and ARS?

OK, I bit the bullet and ordered a 2005 E60. (I am quite happily
dumping my 2000 911, which I consider a pretty dismal car. If anyone
wants a good price on a 2000 911 with only 26k miles on it, let me
know.) The dealer didn't require a deposit on it (and, without much
negotation I got about $1500 off sticker, which suggests to me that
these things probably aren't flying off the shelves - could I have
done a lot better?). Thus, I'm not really locked in yet and I could
change the configuration pretty easily at this point.

The main point of controversy for me was whether or not to order the
sports package. I know that there are strong opinions on both sides of
the issue, particularly regarding the active steering and ARS, but I'm
wondering if any type of consensus is building one year later.
Basically, the owners I've spoken with love the active steering
whereas the traditionalists aren't fans. Any further thoughts on this
before I take the plunge?

(Unfortunately I've only been able to drive the vehicle with the
sports package, as my dealer orders nothing else. The car felt
wonderful to me, but hard to judge in a 10 minute drive.)

Also, are the 2005 cars essentially identical to the 2004 models, or
has BMW tweaked any problems out of the first year run?

A final thought: I can't imagine owning this car beyond the warranty
period. The prospect of fixing all the junk in this car scares me.
Will independent service places even continue to exist, or will the
dealer ultimately be the only one capable of fixing this car? Does
anyone have any (early) thoughts on E60 reliability?
Old October 9th 04, 02:53 AM
Richard N. Paddock

I paid $1,500 over invoice in February for a 545. (used a broker)

Love the Active Steering and ARS. The steering can be temperamental on some
uneven pavement but for the most part it is great.

Reliability - Have a rubbing window problem on all doors that can't be
solved. The steering wheel does not move up when the key is removed..

om...

Old October 9th 04, 02:20 PM
Oliver Hui

I have the same rubbing window problem.

It's very irritating.

I wouldn't have bought the car if I'd known.

Oliver

(please visit www.solobis.com/huioliver to see if their Affiliate Program is of interest)

Old October 9th 04, 07:36 PM
Leong Goh

"david olson" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I bit the bullet and ordered a 2005 E60. (I am quite happily
> dumping my 2000 911, which I consider a pretty dismal car. If anyone
> wants a good price on a 2000 911 with only 26k miles on it, let me
> know.) The dealer didn't require a deposit on it (and, without much
> negotation I got about $1500 off sticker, which suggests to me that
> these things probably aren't flying off the shelves - could I have
> done a lot better?). Thus, I'm not really locked in yet and I could
> change the configuration pretty easily at this point.
>
> The main point of controversy for me was whether or not to order the
> sports package. I know that there are strong opinions on both sides of
> the issue, particularly regarding the active steering and ARS, but I'm
> wondering if any type of consensus is building one year later.
> Basically, the owners I've spoken with love the active steering
> whereas the traditionalists aren't fans. Any further thoughts on this
> before I take the plunge?
>
> (Unfortunately I've only been able to drive the vehicle with the
> sports package, as my dealer orders nothing else. The car felt
> wonderful to me, but hard to judge in a 10 minute drive.)
>
> Also, are the 2005 cars essentially identical to the 2004 models, or
> has BMW tweaked any problems out of the first year run?
>
> A final thought: I can't imagine owning this car beyond the warranty
> period. The prospect of fixing all the junk in this car scares me.
> Will independent service places even continue to exist, or will the
> dealer ultimately be the only one capable of fixing this car? Does
> anyone have any (early) thoughts on E60 reliability?

I've had an E60 530d for 5mths, love the active steer....Considering
getting a 1 series for my wife, but disappointed there's no active steer
option...

Leong

Old October 9th 04, 09:03 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

What's wrong with that?

Seems a good addditional security feature.

DAS
---

"Richard N. Paddock" > wrote in message
[.........]
The steering wheel does not move up when the key is removed..

Old October 9th 04, 11:58 PM
Oliver Hui

DAS,

What's wrong with that?

What's wrong with that is when I pay that kind of money, I don't expect anything to go wrong.

And I don't have time to take the thing to the dealer. There's work to do.

I've been driving for 30 years and never had any problems with Hondas, Mazdas and my favourite, the Subarus.

I was thinking about getting an M5 in a few years but now...

NO way.

Oliver

Old October 10th 04, 06:11 AM
tech27

It's a simple fix. The problem happens sometime when you are programming the memories and hit the buttons out of sequence. But in your case, I would definitely sell the BMW and buy a Subaru.

If you expect perfection when you "pay that kind of money" you can't afford the car. Idiots like you think that because you pay what you consider is a lot of money nothing should ever go wrong. You probably think that spending half a million on a Maybach would mean you never need to get anything done to it. WRONG. You do- except for that price they fly in a team to do the work at specially designated service centers and may even ship the car there if necessary.

It's too bad you are so busy you don't have the time to take the car to the dealer. Maybe you should hire a few more Vice Presidents to take care of your empire while you go to the dealer, or just get one of THEM to take it in for you. OR - try to get your shifts at McDonald's changed so you can go when the service department is open.

Loser.

Old October 10th 04, 11:15 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

I was referring to the steering wheel being blocked reported by Richard
Paddock which, I thought, was a feature of the immobiliser. Evidently not.

DAS

---

Old October 10th 04, 12:16 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Leong Goh > wrote:
> I've had an E60 530d for 5mths, love the active steer....Considering
> getting a 1 series for my wife, but disappointed there's no active steer
> option...

What does she say? ;-)

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 10th 04, 03:50 PM
Ramone Cila

"Richard N. Paddock" > wrote in message
> I paid $1,500 over invoice in February for a 545. (used a broker)
>
> Love the Active Steering and ARS. The steering can be temperamental on

some
> uneven pavement but for the most part it is great.
>
> Reliability - Have a rubbing window problem on all doors that can't be
> solved. The steering wheel does not move up when the key is removed..

I've had a 545 since April of this year. I specifically did not buy AS. I
very much dislike it. In my opinion it takes the car too far from BMW
standards of tactile feel and proportion. I like linear steering and the
standard rack is, not only better than AS, but better than the E39.

I've had no problem with our 5'er, though I expected some issues since it
was a first year production. I'd have waited until the second year of
production, but my E39 was just damn worn out and the front end was getting
to goosey for my tastes.