bump and steer

Old December 31st 04, 01:45 PM
tricky

Default bump and steer

Hi all

I got loads of VW books for crimbo. So I am learning fast !

All of the hard stuff is explained quite well, but the easy stuff is
assumed the reader already knows.

My question

Could someone please explain " bump and stear "

I have heard and read this frase often, but have no idea what it is.

Thanks
Rich
Old December 31st 04, 02:06 PM

Do you mean "bump steer?" If so, bump steer is the change in toe-in
when a wheel is deflected up or down by a bump. When tuning car
handling, one key procedure is to measure and minimize bump steer. I
made a tool for this out of two pieces of plywood.

Paul

Old December 31st 04, 06:35 PM
MUADIB®

Hell,........I thought that was the way home when you ran outta gas or
car died on ya,............get someone to get in a car behind you and
bump you to get going and steer the car home.................<G>

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Old January 1st 05, 02:28 PM
tricky

Yes that is what I meant, thanks.

So if you have 'bad' bump steer , what would you notice when driving ?

.... and a happy new year to you, and everyone else too !

Rich

Old January 2nd 05, 01:36 AM
Mike64Bug

> So if you have 'bad' bump steer , what would you notice when driving ?

If you hit a bump in the road or a sharp dip the car will start to change directions as if you had pulled on the
steering wheel real quick. I don't believe most acvw's had any serious bump steer even when they were out of alignment.
I don't notice any on mine and it does need some alignment.

Happy new year.

Old January 2nd 05, 03:04 PM
tricky

Hi

Thanks for that. I was reading up on lowering etc.
Bump steer is mentioned time and again, but not what it was.
Now I know !

Cheers again
Rich

Old January 2nd 05, 05:26 PM
Mike64Bug

> Thanks for that. I was reading up on lowering etc.
> Bump steer is mentioned time and again, but not what it was.

Bump steer can be a problem on a car that is lowered
because the suspension angles change.(camber, caster, etc.)
I don't know how an aircooled vw reacts to having it's suspension
lowered since I've never done that. I suspect that you
may end up with some bump steer depending on how low
you go. If you do a search on the newsgroup for "bump steer"
you'll probably find some information from others who have
done this and what they did to correct it such as changes
to the front end alignment.

Old January 4th 05, 08:37 PM
tricky

From what i've read you can reset the caster by shimming at the top,
and there is a bump steer kit which lets you use the tie rods upside
down ! apparently you can get it all pretty close again.

I was more interested reading - how to hotrod your vw - saying that
raising your suspention as vw did by 1.5" gives you better handling at
higher speeds ! we are talking 100 mph + where the rounded top of the
body acts as a wing and provides lift !

anyhow - all interesting stuff

Rich