Shock absorber bushing

Old June 1st 05, 06:41 PM
B-Nut

Default Shock absorber bushing

I have a 1988 honda accord dx 5 spd manual carb. I replaced the driver side
strut and coil spring. but as I began the job, I noticed i had a broken
bolt that connects the lower control arm to the damper fork. I bought a
replacment bolt, nut, and bushing. But my problem is how do i get the
bushing out of the control arm to install the new one? Is there a special
tool I need? somebody give me some direction to follow.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:24 AM
Nightdude

A torch! That's how my mechanic removed bushing from arms. Or maybe a press.
I would have changed mine long time ago, they are cheap to buy, but the
$#)$(#) job to do that is $$$ or lots of cursing and swearing if you do it
yourself without the right tools.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 2nd 05, 05:05 AM
jim beam

B-Nut wrote:
> I have a 1988 honda accord dx 5 spd manual carb. I replaced the driver side
> strut and coil spring. but as I began the job, I noticed i had a broken
> bolt that connects the lower control arm to the damper fork. I bought a
> replacment bolt, nut, and bushing. But my problem is how do i get the
> bushing out of the control arm to install the new one? Is there a special
> tool I need? somebody give me some direction to follow.

bearing press. but if you broke the bolt, can't you just replace the
bolt, not the bushing?

Old June 2nd 05, 10:54 PM
Steve Bigelow

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> B-Nut wrote:
>> I have a 1988 honda accord dx 5 spd manual carb. I replaced the driver
>> side
>> strut and coil spring. but as I began the job, I noticed i had a broken
>> bolt that connects the lower control arm to the damper fork. I bought a
>> replacment bolt, nut, and bushing. But my problem is how do i get the
>> bushing out of the control arm to install the new one? Is there a special
>> tool I need? somebody give me some direction to follow.
>>

> bearing press. but if you broke the bolt, can't you just replace the
> bolt, not the bushing?

They seize in the bushing. Drill out the rubber in the bushing enough to
twist out that portion, then take a sawzall to the outer bit. The new ones
will hammer in with the correct size socket.