330xi Oil Pan Drain Plug - Where is it?

Old December 29th 04, 06:45 PM
Tom Allen

Default 330xi Oil Pan Drain Plug - Where is it?

I'm going to attempt my first oil change. My mechanical
abilities will grow now that I'm out of warranty.

How do you get to the oil pan drain plug on a 2002 330xi?

I've heard people talk about a 2" x 3" access panel, but I
don't see it. There have been posts about removing the
entire front plastic cover.....size = 3 feet wide probably 2
feet deep. Do I have to remove that? I have the sport
package and the screws holding the plastic cover in place
also go through the front spoiler.

I think there's a difference between the xi and all other
e46's because of the AWD. The xi takes 8 quarts instead of
7 quarts of oil.

I'm not one for removing a bunch of stuff to finally get to
the drain plug, so before I start on this, I thought I'd ask
so I can find the easiest way.

Tom
Old December 29th 04, 07:45 PM
bfd

Before you start, I would recommend you get a Bentley manual:
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/pro...b301&subject=4

Old December 29th 04, 09:35 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Tom Allen" > wrote
> I'm going to attempt my first oil change. My mechanical
> abilities will grow now that I'm out of warranty.
>
> How do you get to the oil pan drain plug on a 2002 330xi?
>
> I've heard people talk about a 2" x 3" access panel, but I
> don't see it. There have been posts about removing the
> entire front plastic cover.....size = 3 feet wide probably 2
> feet deep. Do I have to remove that? I have the sport
> package and the screws holding the plastic cover in place
> also go through the front spoiler.

You are correct that the plastic cover needs to be removed.
It's really easy; there are 4 phillips-head screws that need to be
turned 1/4-1/2 turn each. The cover is in more than one piece:
it's the 2nd (middle IIRC) one. The pan drain plug will then be exposed
on the 8"x20" or so pan. It's a 17mm IIRC. The real problem is
on the oil filter cover - you need either a 36mm socket or an
adjustable-end wrench that goes that big. Don't use a pipe
wrench or anything with serrated clamps.

> I think there's a difference between the xi and all other
> e46's because of the AWD. The xi takes 8 quarts instead of
> 7 quarts of oil.

Correct. I use Mobil-1 from Costco; or you can buy the BMW
stuff (actually Castrol) from the dealer where you may have to
go to get the filter and seals/washers.

FloydR '01 330xi
Old December 29th 04, 10:28 PM
Tom Allen

Thanks, Floyd. I had originally tried to e-mail this
message directly to you, but the only email address I have
for you is the one on your postings....which kicked back. I
knew you would (was hoping you would) respond. Send me an
email with your correct address. The address on this post
will work....emails to this address go directly to my trash
pile, but I'll go through it to find if one is from you.
Thanks.
Tom

Old December 31st 04, 03:34 AM
GRL

Suggestion, replace any fittings that you need to gain access to the
drain plug and filter with stainless steel fittings. Will save you
corrosion-induced grief in the future...especially if you live in the
rust belt.

- GRL

Tom Allen wrote:
> I'm going to attempt my first oil change. My mechanical abilities will
> grow now that I'm out of warranty.
>
> How do you get to the oil pan drain plug on a 2002 330xi?
>
> I've heard people talk about a 2" x 3" access panel, but I don't see
> it. There have been posts about removing the entire front plastic
> cover.....size = 3 feet wide probably 2 feet deep. Do I have to remove
> that? I have the sport package and the screws holding the plastic cover
> in place also go through the front spoiler.
>
> I think there's a difference between the xi and all other e46's because
> of the AWD. The xi takes 8 quarts instead of 7 quarts of oil.
>
> I'm not one for removing a bunch of stuff to finally get to the drain
> plug, so before I start on this, I thought I'd ask so I can find the
> easiest way.
>
> Tom

"Service Engine Soon" 2002 330xi Jim BMW 2 November 19th 04 12:50 AM
Plugs on tires- they fixed it with a internal patch, not a plug . . . news BMW 2 October 6th 04 03:43 PM
330xi Info Frank McGirt BMW 13 October 1st 04 06:05 PM
How in the %$@%$ do I get to the e46 M3 oil pan drain plug?? Bill Blevins BMW 5 September 27th 04 03:54 PM
1995 Audi A6 Spark Plug Torque Spec etc. Soyboy Audi 1 July 27th 04 04:19 PM