amsoil - good or bad?

Old February 12th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.ford

Default amsoil - good or bad?

On 12 Feb 2006 14:29:08 -0800, "John S." > wrote:

>fweddybear wrote:
>> "I Love Edsels" > wrote in message
>> > any opinions on Amsoil?

>> This also bring up another good question..... how is their gear oil, say the
>> 90 weight. It was recommended (and used by) the mechanic at the Harley shop
>> for aftermarket transmission fluid changes. Any opinions on this?
>>
>> Fwed

>What does Harley recommend for the transmission.

Amsoil is a ponzi scheme like Amway soap. It might work, but that
isn't the IDEA behind it. The IDEA behind it is to sell inventory to
some other sucker ( eh...associate ) so they can find a sucker (
eh...customer ) or another associate to fall into the same TRAP!

If it *works,* that's icing on the cake.

Lg

Old February 12th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.ford

"John S." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> fweddybear wrote:
>> "I Love Edsels" > wrote in message
>> > any opinions on Amsoil?

>> This also bring up another good question..... how is their gear oil, say
>> the
>> 90 weight. It was recommended (and used by) the mechanic at the Harley
>> shop
>> for aftermarket transmission fluid changes. Any opinions on this?
>>
>> Fwed

> What does Harley recommend for the transmission.

Its not a harley tranny....but for their trannys, they of course
recommend harley tranny fluid..... i had a baker tranny put in, and the
mechanic (a harley mechanic) said he uses amsoil 90 weight gear oil in
that....so since the discussion of amsoil oil wasn't getting high reviews,
if the gear oil was similar in ratings....

Fwed

Old February 12th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.ford

Lawrence Glickman wrote:
> On 12 Feb 2006 14:29:08 -0800, "John S." > wrote:
>

>>fweddybear wrote:

>>>This also bring up another good question..... how is their gear oil, say the
>>>90 weight. It was recommended (and used by) the mechanic at the Harley shop
>>>for aftermarket transmission fluid changes. Any opinions on this?
>>>
>>>Fwed

>>What does Harley recommend for the transmission.

> Amsoil is a ponzi scheme like Amway soap. It might work, but that
> isn't the IDEA behind it. The IDEA behind it is to sell inventory to
> some other sucker ( eh...associate ) so they can find a sucker (
> eh...customer ) or another associate to fall into the same TRAP!
>
> If it *works,* that's icing on the cake.
>
> Lg

WELL SAID. Ill ditto that! If you want to here how great it is just ask
someone who sells it.
Old February 13th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.ford

fweddybear > wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
>>
>> Gear oil is funny stuff and conventional oil tests don't always correlate
>> well with real-world gear wear.

> I would imagine temp has alot to do with how well it keeps things coated
>with that thin layer...

Most of the synthetics are very good about viscosity improvement, and they
also have extremely good film strength. As a result, they tend to be better
at keeping surfaces coated at temperature extremes.

The real question, though, is how the stuff holds up under extreme pressure
with high shear levels. Shear strength is a big deal for gear oils.
--scott
Old February 13th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.ford

fweddybear wrote:
> "John S." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > fweddybear wrote:
> >>
> >> This also bring up another good question..... how is their gear oil, say
> >> the
> >> 90 weight. It was recommended (and used by) the mechanic at the Harley
> >> shop
> >> for aftermarket transmission fluid changes. Any opinions on this?
> >>
> >> Fwed

> > What does Harley recommend for the transmission.

> Its not a harley tranny....but for their trannys, they of course
> recommend harley tranny fluid..... i had a baker tranny put in, and the
> mechanic (a harley mechanic) said he uses amsoil 90 weight gear oil in
> that....so since the discussion of amsoil oil wasn't getting high reviews,
> if the gear oil was similar in ratings....

No matter who made it, I would follow the manufacturers recommendation
first. I think they would be in the best position to determine which
lubricant meets the technical requirements of the gearbox. There are
not many other people who would be able to accurately answer your
question.

Old February 13th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.ford

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message

> > She ran hers to 15,000 miles between changes. No glycol contamination,
> > no condensation.....just Amsoil. And, as it was her car, and her
> > philosophy,
> > I didn't choose to interfere.
> >

> With OCIs that long I would be real nervous without either periodic (5K
> miles?) filter changes and/or a bypass filter. But that said a good
> synthetic really should be able to go 15K miles without issues, I
> suspect other problems with that engine like a nonfunctional PCV valve?
>
> Personally, I change my oil every 5K (Porsche 944) with either Mobil 1
> 5W40 or Rotella T syn 5W40 even though the owner's manual says 7500.
> Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but I can't be arsed to mess with used
> oil analyses and without same I just get nervous.

I don't waste my time with oil analyses either.

No, she had no PCV problems. Nothing wrong with the engine, just 15,000
mile change intervals, as far as I could determine.

Amsoil must have a heavy additive package load. I think I may have read
that
somewhere. Lots of oils will 'cook' and decompose with time and
temperature,
we are led to believe. A lot of the damage caused to Toyota, VW, and
similar
engines has been laid to this, although some suggest that the engine design
and PCV specifications play a strong part.

Anyone who wants can use Amsoil and a lot swear by it. Many of the snake
oil comments on this group are based on hearsay, I suspect, rather than
first
hand experience with the product. I am fairly open minded on the subject,
but
choose not to use the product myself.

Old February 13th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.ford

>> Amsoil is a ponzi scheme like Amway soap. It might work, but that
>> isn't the IDEA behind it. The IDEA behind it is to sell inventory to
>> some other sucker ( eh...associate ) so they can find a sucker (
>> eh...customer ) or another associate to fall into the same TRAP!
>>
>> If it *works,* that's icing on the cake.
>>
>> Lg
>>

>WELL SAID. Ill ditto that! If you want to here how great it is just ask
>someone who sells it.

Ok, I don't SELL Amsoil but I use it, and I think it's great. I never
had anyone beating down my door to sell me more product, I don't have
someone hounding me to join or purchase more product, I order it
directly from the .com. I use Series 2000 0w-30 year round and Amsoil
oil filters. Change at Amsoil's rec'd intervals, 6mo/filter
1yr/oil/filter. Been doing this for years no problem, and I can
safely say that if nothing else, my winter starts are like butter now
compared to the old dino oil (where the car may or may not have
started). Just my $0.02.

-GV

Old February 13th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.ford

my snake oil comment was based on the fact that when a dealer tried to sell
it to me, and me on it, he handed me a "comparison" sheet of different oils,
and amsoil synthetic was at the absolute bottom of the list when compared to
all the other "inferior" brands when it came to the A.P.I. ratings. I
pointed this little fact out to him and his answer was "oh, those ratings
don't mean anything". for the record, the valvoline all fleet plus that I
had always used was at the top of the A.P.I. ratings.
t...

Old February 13th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.ford

That is like on their website where it says when your engine blows up
because of using bad or 'unapproved' oil and the maker refuses the
warranty because you used 'snake oil', you can ship the engine to them
and 'if' they decide it was indeed crappy oil, they will honor the
warranty. LOL!

Ya right, I'll bet 'their' diagnosis will always be a bad part, never
their crappy oil.

Mike

Old February 13th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.ford

"tom" > wrote in message
> my snake oil comment was based on the fact that when a dealer tried to

sell
> it to me, and me on it, he handed me a "comparison" sheet of different

oils,
> and amsoil synthetic was at the absolute bottom of the list when compared

> all the other "inferior" brands when it came to the A.P.I. ratings. I
> pointed this little fact out to him and his answer was "oh, those ratings
> don't mean anything". for the record, the valvoline all fleet plus that I
> had always used was at the top of the A.P.I. ratings.

I certainly wasnt making light of your comment. Their claims are one thing,
their documentation somewhat less.

Some oil 'tests' were being run and were available online. As I remember
it,
the Amsoil was holding its own pretty well, BUT tests like that should be
run by a certified testing laboratory to have any real credibility.

As I said, I am open minded (but not empty headed;>)

Are there 'good' and 'bad' years when it comes to Explorers? [email protected] Ford Explorer 4 May 15th 05 12:23 AM
synthetic oils d745 4x4 30 May 2nd 05 03:14 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. Iwant to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow WindsorFox[SS] Ford Mustang 1 May 2nd 05 01:42 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] BMW 0 April 21st 05 10:01 PM