A little spare time to think. Remembering my Chevy Vega..

Old October 1st 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
M.A. Stewart

Default A little spare time to think. Remembering my Chevy Vega..

Harry Face ) writes:
> You didn't keep it long enough to expierience the problems people had.
> Nor did you keep it long enough to enjoy the flow through ventilation
> from the body rotting out.
>
> Your sister only had the car slightly over a year and in that time the
> car really shouldn't need any service. Most cars only needs gas and a
> few oil changes in its first year - unless something does break.
>
> A friend had a Vega for 7 years before I knew him and he had good luck
> with his.
>
> harryface
> 91 Bonneville 320,001
> 05 Park Avenue 89,130

The only thing that smoked as much as a Vega was a clapped out '62 Ford
Falcon.

We used to ask Vega drivers... "how do you like that two-stroke Vega? Are
you using a 20 to 1 or a 10 to 1 gas/oil mix?" It was great fun to ask the
same questions to the Vega owners which had swapped in a 327 Mouse. Man
did they ever get ****ed. Talk about smoke... only it was the rubber kind,
not the oil kind.

Old October 1st 09, 01:09 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
hls

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> The engine on the 124 sports models were fine. It was the first
> belt-driven double overhead cam design engine used in a mass production
> car. Rust was a big problem in the states. I'm guessing that it doesn't
> rain or snow in Italy and Europe. :-)

Somewhat wrong. Rust was a problem with all Fiats made in Italia.

Fiat is a bit of a joke, even in Europe. I lived there for many many years.
Old October 1st 09, 01:15 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

"hls" > wrote in
:

> "Otis" > wrote in message
> ..
> .
>> Over the years, the inevitable subject of worst cars ever comes up,
>> and the Vega is always at or near the top of the list. I've seen it
>> a hundred times. I feel I should put in a good word for the little
>> car.

> That is, I believe, the car with the silicon/aluminum alloy
> engine...That thing went out for most people very quickly.

Anybody ever read the Wiki page on the Vega? It's a pretty good read.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Vega>

Maybe I'm weird, but I always thought the Vega was a good-looking car. But
then I liked the Plymouth Duster as well.

> Now, believe it or not, I have seen Yugos still on the road. Even the
> worst automaker allows a good one to slip out occasionally.

The Yugo was never sold in Canada, for some odd reason. Around the same
time as the Yugo was being imported to the US, we DID get all manner of
other, highly-unusual, Soviet-bloc machinery.

Off the top of my head:
Lada 1600 (Russian Fiat 124 derivative)
Lada Niva (small Russian SUV)
Dacia (Romanian sedan; looks like a Renault 11, but dumpier)
Skoda (Czech sedan; had rear engine and side-opening hood)
ARO (Romanian 4WD; about the size of a Range Rover, but impossibly crude)

We also got the Hyundai Pony, a truly, truly, awful car.

The Lada 1600 actually drove pretty well. The new example I test-drove had
an impressively precise shifter. The salesman kept yammering on about how
the car's carburetor was "the closest thing you can get to a Weber" without
actually having a Weber, as though that was the vehicle's only selling
point.

I never see ANY of the above anymore, EVER. And I drive a lot.

--
Tegger

Old October 1st 09, 01:31 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Otis

On Sep 30, 8:15*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> "hls" > wrote om:
>

> > "Otis" > wrote in message
> ..
> > .
> >> Over the years, the inevitable subject of worst cars ever comes up,
> >> and the Vega is always at or near the top of the list. *I've seen it
> >> a hundred times. * I feel I should put in a good word for the little
> >> car.

> > That is, I believe, the car with the silicon/aluminum alloy
> > engine...That thing went out for most people very quickly.

> Anybody ever read the Wiki page on the Vega? It's a pretty good read.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Vega>
>
> Maybe I'm weird, but I always thought the Vega was a good-looking car. But
> then I liked the Plymouth Duster as well.

My Vega was a sporty bright color, but a plain Jane set of wheels.
One of my friends had a GT which was very cool; a sturdy-looking
and very sporty ride. Another had one of the "Millionth Vegas."

I turned a little green with envy when he got that orange babe.

from http://h-body.org/library/vegabob/ve...-complete.html

"In May 1973, the Millionth Vega was produced; a bright orange GT
hatchback coupe, with white sport stripes, "Millionth Vega" door
handle
inserts, and power steering. interior featured neutral custom vinyl,
including exclusive vinyl door panels, and orange accent color
carpeting.

"-A limited edition "Millionth Vega" option-ZM5 was offered..one per
dealer."

Another buddy of mine got one of the "Spirit of America" models.
It was flashier than mine, but couldn't hold a candle to the GT
models.
This one ended up sitting in the carport of his parents' house till
just
recently!

Old October 1st 09, 01:33 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Tegger wrote:
> "hls" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Otis" > wrote in message
>> ..
>> .
>>> Over the years, the inevitable subject of worst cars ever comes up,
>>> and the Vega is always at or near the top of the list. I've seen it
>>> a hundred times. I feel I should put in a good word for the little
>>> car.

>> That is, I believe, the car with the silicon/aluminum alloy
>> engine...That thing went out for most people very quickly.

> Anybody ever read the Wiki page on the Vega? It's a pretty good read.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Vega>
>
> Maybe I'm weird, but I always thought the Vega was a good-looking car. But
> then I liked the Plymouth Duster as well.

I'm with ya there. sure wouldn't mind having either a Duster 340 or a
Cosworth Vega. nothing wrong with the styling of either car.
(actually, there's very little wrong with any duster, even the humble
Slant Six models.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 1st 09, 01:37 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

hls wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>> The engine on the 124 sports models were fine. It was the first
>> belt-driven double overhead cam design engine used in a mass
>> production car. Rust was a big problem in the states. I'm guessing
>> that it doesn't rain or snow in Italy and Europe. :-)

> Somewhat wrong. Rust was a problem with all Fiats made in Italia.
>
> Fiat is a bit of a joke, even in Europe. I lived there for many many
> years.

I'm guessing it's partially because they're such a big force in Europe,
the same as GM is in the states.
Old October 1st 09, 02:24 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:46:20 -0700 (PDT), Otis
> wrote:

>Over the years, the inevitable subject of worst cars ever comes up,
>and the Vega
>is always at or near the top of the list. I've seen it a hundred
>times. I feel I should
>put in a good word for the little car.
>
>My sister got a new Vega in early 1973 (a stripped-down one at that,
>about as basic
>as was available). I then inherited it in late '74 and drove it
>merrily for another full
>year. That little car was never ONE ounce of trouble. It cruised at
>75 mph like
>a charm, never burped or coughed, and I actually don't know that the
>oil was
>ever changed!!!! Maybe the car was serviced when my sister had it,
>but I know
>it wasn't during the time I had it (young and car stupid I guess).
>When
>I traded it in for my dream car at the time (the dreamy '75 Toyota
>Celica GT),
>it had about 42k miles on it and still performed like a trooper.
>Maybe it
>was a rare gem off the assembly line I don't know, but I had three
>friends
>who also had Vegas and I don't remember any of them being lemons; one
>did have notoriously squeally brakes though IIRC.

Did you live someplace cool/cold? Here in AZ in the heat they were
dropping like flies.
Old October 1st 09, 02:29 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

Tegger wrote:

> Anybody ever read the Wiki page on the Vega? It's a pretty good read.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Vega>
>
> Maybe I'm weird, but I always thought the Vega was a good-looking car. But
> then I liked the Plymouth Duster as well.

Too bad the car had a well deserved reputation as an oil burner - and I
don't mean diesel. As I recall, the valve stem seals were no good.

OTOH, an all-alloy engine block is a pretty exotic feature even today
and the car was bitching looking - a big departure from the cars of the
day. The 1970 Camaro look-alike front end was kinda cool too. The
dashboard seems to be directly lifted from a Fiat. :-)

I only had 1 chance to check out a Vega and it seemed to me that the car
felt like a big clunky GM product. Somehow the engineers had managed to
reproduce that lousy GM, ponderous, and loosey fit feeling in small car.
Oh well, it looked good anyway. :-)

I like the looks of a Duster too. My boss had a Duster. It had big tires
and a "340" decal on the rear flanks. I remember coming up to a stop a
little fast and when I stepped on the brakes, nothing much happened. I
panicked and really stepped on it and that thing went
EerrRrrrrrrrrrrrccch! I stopped in time but looked like a big dufus.
Those 70s car sure had crappy brakes. :-)
Old October 1st 09, 02:46 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Kruse

On Sep 30, 8:29*pm, dsi1 > wrote:

> Too bad the car had a well deserved reputation as an oil burner - and I
> don't mean diesel. As I recall, the valve stem seals were no good.
>
> OTOH, an all-alloy engine block is a pretty exotic feature even today

That car had more problems than just valve stem seals. The aftermarket
"cure" for this car was to re-sleeve it.
After that, the engine was actually pretty good from an economic point
of view.
If they had stuck with the 4 cylinder motor that had been used in the
Chevy II, history would have said that
the Vega would have been an excellent econo box.
Old October 1st 09, 03:15 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Gordon McGrew

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:46:39 -0700 (PDT), Kruse >
wrote:

>On Sep 30, 8:29*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> Too bad the car had a well deserved reputation as an oil burner - and I
>> don't mean diesel. As I recall, the valve stem seals were no good.
>>
>> OTOH, an all-alloy engine block is a pretty exotic feature even today

>That car had more problems than just valve stem seals. The aftermarket
>"cure" for this car was to re-sleeve it.
>After that, the engine was actually pretty good from an economic point
>of view.
>If they had stuck with the 4 cylinder motor that had been used in the
>Chevy II, history would have said that
>the Vega would have been an excellent econo box.

They also had a reputation for rusting out on the way home from the
dealer. Besides that, they were a typical GM car of the 1970s, which
is to say not very good and really awful by today's standards.