GM to pull the plug on Pontiac.

Old April 24th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default GM to pull the plug on Pontiac.

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=262468

There goes the Indian Chief, Chief Pontiac.I rememper their old logo
with the Indian head on it.
cuhulin

Old April 25th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
fred

wrote in
:

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=262468

> There goes the Indian Chief, Chief Pontiac.I rememper their old logo
> with the Indian head on it.

Too many brands anyways. The result of buying another car company, giving
their execs a division repeated several times. A good start. Although I'd
prefer to see John Delorean do the reorganization myself <g>.

Old April 25th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
bob

wrote:

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=262468

> There goes the Indian Chief, Chief Pontiac.I remember their old logo
> with the Indian head on it.
> cuhulin

Pull the plug is a relative word compared to whats coming.

My prediction:

GM will be in chapter 11 by fall.

That will allow them to cancel dealer franchise agreements at will.
dealer network to be reduced 1/3 to 1/2 of current numbers

There won't be a name franchise like in the past.

there will be two levels of dealers.

Premium will be Cadillac,GMC, Buick

general will be Chevy,Pontiac,Saturn

there won't be three brand versions of the same car

There will be a new rear drive car platform based on truck modular
hydroformed frame technology to allow GM to compete in the police
and public fleet market. They will have Fuel cell APU's to save energy
in police applications.

Hummer will be sold to whomever dismembers Chrysler and combined with
jeep and dodge trucks.

UAW contracts will go out the window
retirements will be 401K's , no GM pension
wages in line with other US built imports.
Its that or be in the soup line
The workers left will be there because of abilities and not seniority.

plants will stay open or shut down by negotiated concession with
local taxing authorities.

GM might be looking at other markets for idled plants such as airframe
fuselage subcontracting. That new airforce tanker contract could be
a good start.

Some parts suppliers will be brought back into the fold to
avoid supplier disruption

It will take 10 years to pay off debts and get back into the black

bob

Old April 25th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"bob" > wrote in message ...

> There won't be a name franchise like in the past.
>
> there will be two levels of dealers.
>
> Premium will be Cadillac,GMC, Buick
>
> general will be Chevy,Pontiac,Saturn

> bob

I think Saturn is gone, as well as Pontiac.

Old April 25th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >, bob > wrote:
>GM will be in chapter 11 by fall.
>
>That will allow them to cancel dealer franchise agreements at will.
>dealer network to be reduced 1/3 to 1/2 of current numbers
>
>There won't be a name franchise like in the past.

Okay, now the combination of these would be interesting, and I think it
would be a really good thing. It may reduce the total number of dealers
but I think it makes for a better deal for the remaining dealers in that
they have a wider variety to show.

>there will be two levels of dealers.
>
>Premium will be Cadillac,GMC, Buick
>
>general will be Chevy,Pontiac,Saturn

Saturn is gone. Pontiac is gone. If you're going to split into two
levels, it'll be Cadillac+Buic and Chevy+GMC, maybe.

>there won't be three brand versions of the same car

Thank God. I think that would be the best thing to come out of it.

>There will be a new rear drive car platform based on truck modular
>hydroformed frame technology to allow GM to compete in the police
>and public fleet market. They will have Fuel cell APU's to save energy
>in police applications.

THIS would be a brilliant move, and my worry is that they won't be able
to do it since they have already laid off the whole performance group
already. Doing something like this would really show the world that GM
has something viable to offer, but I don't think they'd be able to make
it at this point. Six months ago, maybe. Some things would have to change.

>Hummer will be sold to whomever dismembers Chrysler and combined with
>jeep and dodge trucks.

If it were me, I'd dump Hummer since the thing no longer bears any
connection to the military HMMV and shares no common parts any longer.
There's really no reason to have it, except maybe as a niche vehicle
if you can afford to build it on its own line. And if you can do that,
hell, you can probably sell the real thing (like the Civilian H1) for
less.

>UAW contracts will go out the window
>retirements will be 401K's , no GM pension
>wages in line with other US built imports.
>Its that or be in the soup line
>The workers left will be there because of abilities and not seniority.

Yes, I don't see any way around this.

>plants will stay open or shut down by negotiated concession with
>local taxing authorities.
>
>GM might be looking at other markets for idled plants such as airframe
>fuselage subcontracting. That new airforce tanker contract could be
>a good start.

Again, if they could do it, I'd be impressed. Too much has fallen too
far behind the technology curve that it's a huge effort to bring it back
to a state where anyone would want to subcontract precision work to them.

>Some parts suppliers will be brought back into the fold to
>avoid supplier disruption

Again, a smart idea.

>It will take 10 years to pay off debts and get back into the black

I think that's a little optimistic too.
--scott

Old April 25th 09, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:52:11 -0500, cuhulin wrote:

> http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=262468
>
> There goes the Indian Chief, Chief Pontiac.I rememper their old logo
> with the Indian head on it.
> cuhulin

Stupid idea. Of course, GM is chock full of stupid ideas. Why is it a
stupid idea? Because I like driving Japanese cars! Of all the brands of
cars GM makes, the FIRST one I would go look at is a Pontiac! Screw Chevy.
I know there are die-hard Chevy fanatics out there, but face it: the
current crop of Chevy cars have absolutely NOTHING in common with the cars
you guys love.

Once again, GM is thinking more of the Shareholders than the Customers.
Chevy's are inexpensive to build and have a higher profit margin. So GM
makes more money per car. But if nobody's BUYING your cars, you're not
making any money!

As long as they continue this pattern of thought that has kept them in
trouble since the 70's, there isn't much hope that GM will still be in the
car business.

Old April 25th 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Bruder

In article >, bob > wrote:

> UAW contracts will go out the window
> retirements will be 401K's , no GM pension
> wages in line with other US built imports.
> Its that or be in the soup line
> The workers left will be there because of abilities and not seniority.

You say that as though it's a bad thing. Personally, I think it's *LONG*
past time for this to happen.

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me
Old April 25th 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Vic Smith

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 22:22:09 -0400, Hachiroku ???? >
wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:52:11 -0500, cuhulin wrote:
>
>> http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=262468
>>
>> There goes the Indian Chief, Chief Pontiac.I rememper their old logo
>> with the Indian head on it.
>> cuhulin

>Stupid idea. Of course, GM is chock full of stupid ideas. Why is it a
>stupid idea? Because I like driving Japanese cars! Of all the brands of
>cars GM makes, the FIRST one I would go look at is a Pontiac! Screw Chevy.
>I know there are die-hard Chevy fanatics out there, but face it: the
>current crop of Chevy cars have absolutely NOTHING in common with the cars
>you guys love.
>
>Once again, GM is thinking more of the Shareholders than the Customers.
>Chevy's are inexpensive to build and have a higher profit margin. So GM
>makes more money per car. But if nobody's BUYING your cars, you're not
>making any money!
>
>As long as they continue this pattern of thought that has kept them in
>trouble since the 70's, there isn't much hope that GM will still be in the
>car business.

Beg to differ. Chevy has always been the GM sales leader.
Mass sales is what makes money and instills brand loyalty.
The Camry/Corolla/Accord/Civic is what put Toy/Honda ahead.
Quality appliances.
The biggest knocks against GM is building too many dog models.
And when they built a dog it usually sullied all their marques.
There are fans of every brand, but in the end it's how many trips to
the mechanic that sway most people to brand loyalty.
Maybe concentrating on building quality in fewer brands will work.
If they can get themselves back in the game they can bring back
some of the "exotics."

--Vic
Old April 25th 09, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
[email protected]

On Apr 25, 12:25*am, Jeff > wrote:

> 4) GM has not made any final decisions about any of its brands.
>
> Jeff

On Monday, GM will announce they are dropping Pontiac.
Old April 25th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
sharx35

"Hachiroku ハチ*ク" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:52:11 -0500, cuhulin wrote:
>
>> http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=262468
>>
>> There goes the Indian Chief, Chief Pontiac.I rememper their old logo
>> with the Indian head on it.
>> cuhulin

> Stupid idea. Of course, GM is chock full of stupid ideas. Why is it a
> stupid idea? Because I like driving Japanese cars! Of all the brands of
> cars GM makes, the FIRST one I would go look at is a Pontiac! Screw Chevy.
> I know there are die-hard Chevy fanatics out there, but face it: the
> current crop of Chevy cars have absolutely NOTHING in common with the cars
> you guys love.
>
> Once again, GM is thinking more of the Shareholders than the Customers.
> Chevy's are inexpensive to build and have a higher profit margin. So GM
> makes more money per car. But if nobody's BUYING your cars, you're not
> making any money!
>
> As long as they continue this pattern of thought that has kept them in
> trouble since the 70's, there isn't much hope that GM will still be in the
> car business.

No doubt natives will protest over this politically incorrect move.