C5 Steering Column lock - How to Unlock

Old April 13th 05, 01:05 AM
sbright

Default C5 Steering Column lock - How to Unlock

I ran across this tip which saved me a tow..:

Pull the wheel to the right
Insert Key then turn key as usual while pulling the wheel to the right

Turns out the column lock starts doing its thing as soon as the key is
inserted (not turned yet)
This saves you from breaking your arm while cranking the wheel back and
forth.

-Stan

Old April 13th 05, 09:16 PM
Stephen Horrillo

On 12-Apr-2005, "sbright" > wrote:

> I ran across this tip which saved me a tow..:
>
> Pull the wheel to the right
> Insert Key then turn key as usual while pulling the wheel to the right
>
> Turns out the column lock starts doing its thing as soon as the key is
> inserted (not turned yet)
> This saves you from breaking your arm while cranking the wheel back and
> forth.
>
> -Stan

My column lock has already been removed. Will this technique still work?

--
Warmest regards,

Stephen Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.
For MLS & Computer Training: http://www.BrokerAgentTraining.com
Realtors Earn Over 100% at EXIT: http://www.over100percent.com
Old April 14th 05, 06:06 PM

I have a '98 that had the wheel lock problem. Turns out there was a
recall for this. Tookl mine to the dealer about 8 months ago and they
fixed it: safety issue.

Old April 15th 05, 11:33 AM
sbright

The information above saved me fom having the car towed. I figured I'd
share it on here in case anybody gets stuck esp. since when you park you
typically head in, so if you did have to get the C5 towed, the towtruck
would have to yank it out of the parking space. Not a pretty sight. I saw a
car get yanked out like that one time (not enough room for the flatbed to
back up straight to the car). The truck was at a 45 degree angle when he
started winching this car. Beautiful... My five year old treats his
Hotwheels better than that.

-Stan

BTW- Went to dealer next day. It takes a week to get the harness.

Old April 16th 05, 04:22 AM
Stephen Horrillo

On 15-Apr-2005, "sbright" > wrote:

> The information above saved me fom having the car towed. I figured I'd
> share it on here in case anybody gets stuck esp. since when you park you
> typically head in, so if you did have to get the C5 towed, the towtruck
> would have to yank it out of the parking space. Not a pretty sight. I saw
> car get yanked out like that one time (not enough room for the flatbed to
> back up straight to the car). The truck was at a 45 degree angle when he
> started winching this car. Beautiful... My five year old treats his
> Hotwheels better than that.
>
> -Stan
>
> BTW- Went to dealer next day. It takes a week to get the harness.

It amazes me how some people won't even try to push a car.

Old April 17th 05, 09:38 PM
Stephen Rabinowitz

The GM fix for the 6 speed is no real fix. GM just covering there butts.
"G" > wrote in message
>I have a '98 that had the wheel lock problem. Turns out there was a
> recall for this. Tookl mine to the dealer about 8 months ago and they
> fixed it: safety issue.
>

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:05:37 -0400, "sbright" >
> wrote:
>
>>I ran across this tip which saved me a tow..:
>>
>>Pull the wheel to the right
>>Insert Key then turn key as usual while pulling the wheel to the right
>>
>>Turns out the column lock starts doing its thing as soon as the key is
>>inserted (not turned yet)
>>This saves you from breaking your arm while cranking the wheel back and
>>forth.
>>
>>-Stan

96 Taurus Steering Column Lock Lever Actuator [email protected] Technology 0 March 17th 05 12:17 AM
01 Accord alarm/security, where to read wireless lock and unlock? [email protected] Honda 6 January 25th 05 01:50 AM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 12:59 AM
Steering column grinding / squeaking noise when turning right Ed Jones VW air cooled 2 January 2nd 05 10:45 AM
'66 Steering Upgrade .boB Ford Mustang 1 December 21st 04 06:25 PM