rotary engine -- what's the name ??

Old October 28th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.motorcycles,sci.engr.mech
Brian Whatcott

Default rotary engine -- what's the name ??

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:55:37 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>> Not familiar with this name.
>> It's not a pet name for a Lotus 7 kit is it?

>It's the car described in Ron Champion's book "Build Your Own Sports
>Car for as Little as UKP250". While it has a lot of similarities with
>a Seven and can easily be mistaken for one, it's not technically a
>Seven.

I still enjoy reading a book about building a race car from mini bits
_ I think he called it the Terrapin - he used brazed square section
tube. He worked out steering geometry etc. from articulated cardboard
models.
Must get Ron Champion's work too.
Ouch! Amazon wanted $150 for a copy - too high.

Thanks

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Old October 28th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.motorcycles,sci.engr.mech
J. Clarke

Brian Whatcott wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:55:37 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> > wrote:
>

>>> Not familiar with this name.
>>> It's not a pet name for a Lotus 7 kit is it?

>> It's the car described in Ron Champion's book "Build Your Own
>> Sports
>> Car for as Little as UKP250". While it has a lot of similarities
>> with a Seven and can easily be mistaken for one, it's not
>> technically a Seven.

> I still enjoy reading a book about building a race car from mini
> bits
> _ I think he called it the Terrapin - he used brazed square section
> tube. He worked out steering geometry etc. from articulated
> cardboard
> models.
> Must get Ron Champion's work too.
> Ouch! Amazon wanted $150 for a copy - too high.

Try Amazon UK. They're listing it for about 13 UKP and 7 UKP shipping
to the US.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old October 28th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Terrapin, sounds familar.I guess I had read an article years ago in
whichever auto magazine.
cuhulin

Old October 28th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.motorcycles,sci.engr.mech
Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 01:01:34 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>>> It's the car described in Ron Champion's book "Build Your Own
>>> Sports
>>> Car for as Little as UKP250". While it has a lot of similarities
>>> with a Seven and can easily be mistaken for one, it's not
>>> technically a Seven.

>> I still enjoy reading a book about building a race car from mini
>> bits
>> _ I think he called it the Terrapin - he used brazed square section
>> tube. He worked out steering geometry etc. from articulated
>> cardboard
>> models.
>> Must get Ron Champion's work too.
>> Ouch! Amazon wanted $150 for a copy - too high.

>Try Amazon UK. They're listing it for about 13 UKP and 7 UKP shipping
>to the US.
>
>--

I scratched round a little and settled for an eBay.uk bid
I saw Haynes is offering a new version with the same title, different
author - similar illustration. I thought I would stick with your
recommendation.

Brian W
Old October 28th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.motorcycles,sci.engr.mech
J. Clarke

Brian Whatcott wrote:

>>> I still enjoy reading a book about building a race car from mini
>>> bits
>>> _ I think he called it the Terrapin - he used brazed square
>>> section
>>> tube. He worked out steering geometry etc. from articulated
>>> cardboard
>>> models.
>>> Must get Ron Champion's work too.
>>> Ouch! Amazon wanted $150 for a copy - too high.

>> Try Amazon UK. They're listing it for about 13 UKP and 7 UKP
>> shipping to the US.
>>
>> --

> I scratched round a little and settled for an eBay.uk bid
> I saw Haynes is offering a new version with the same title,
> different
> author - similar illustration. I thought I would stick with your
> recommendation.

Actually there are three that kind of form a set. Ron Champion's is
the original. Chris Gibbs' is designed around a single-donor concept
using a Ford Sierra--he also cleaned up the drawings some. Keith
Tanner's is also designed around a single-vehicle donor but using a
Miata. Ron's is more generic--he goes more into how to piece things
together from what you find at the junk yard.

Keith Tanner also has an excellent build diary online at
http://www.cheapsportscar.net/diary.php. Chris Gibbs also has a site
up at http://www.gibbs111.fsnet.co.uk/.

Old October 28th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.motorcycles,sci.engr.mech
Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 15:46:29 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>Actually there are three that kind of form a set. Ron Champion's is
>the original. Chris Gibbs' is designed around a single-donor concept
>using a Ford Sierra--he also cleaned up the drawings some. Keith
>Tanner's is also designed around a single-vehicle donor but using a
>Miata. Ron's is more generic--he goes more into how to piece things
>together from what you find at the junk yard.
>
>Keith Tanner also has an excellent build diary online at
>http://www.cheapsportscar.net/diary.php. Chris Gibbs also has a site
>up at http://www.gibbs111.fsnet.co.uk/.

Making a home-brew sports car out of a Miata? There's a concept to
juggle with!

Thanks

Brian W
Old October 29th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Don't forget about the experimental Torroidal ''Rotary'' engines.I don't
think they ever went much of anywhere though.
cuhulin

Old October 29th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I have to say though, the weirder and stranger looking some of those
experimental engines are, the better I like them.
www.acroflyer.com/Turbine_round.htm
cuhulin

Old October 29th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chas Hurst[_1_]

> wrote in message
> Don't forget about the experimental Torroidal ''Rotary'' engines.I don't
> think they ever went much of anywhere though.
> cuhulin

If you guys have some real interest in the rotary, you may be able to google
up the original Wankel engine. Much like the old radial engine, the
crank/eccentric shaft was stationary and the engine turned.
The name for the first engine in German is drehkolbenmaschin (DKM) or single
rotation machine. The second design is the kreiskolbenmaschin (KKM) or
planetary rotation machine.

Old October 29th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Rudolph Diesel intended or his first engine to run on Coal.(or so I once
read about, I think) He disappeared off of a Ship from America to
Europe.
Not much more than a few years ago (1980s?) Cadillac was experimenting
with an engine of theirs to run on powdered coal the consisentcy of baby
powder.
cuhulin