MileMarker PE8000

Old January 13th 05, 05:28 PM
Jerry Bransford

I should say that a typical starter for a V8 doesn't usually draw 400
amperes, though a high-compression V8 used in racing might cause it to
'momentarily' draw upwards of that amount. Not germain to the
discussion at hand anyway.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old January 13th 05, 05:47 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

And why are your winch cables larger than your starter's?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 13th 05, 05:57 PM
Jerry Bransford

Bill, you really should stay out of electrical discussions since you
don't have the background to participate other than as an unarmed man
would in a gunfight.

To humor you, the reason some winches may have larger cables than some
starters is that a winch circuit is designed for longer duty cycles and
thus the cables may be required to carry that kind of a load for longer
periods of time than a starter motor would need.

Jerry

Old January 13th 05, 06:03 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Amazing, and it does all that without using any more amps.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 13th 05, 07:23 PM
Mike Romain

Bill, for the new warn 9500 winch, the specs are 160 amps for a 2000 lb
pull.

That would be like pulling my CJ7 straight up a cliff.

We were talking stalled in water here.

So if I just have to pull it on wheels out of the water, the rolling
weight is closer to 200 lb or 300 lb, maybe 500 lb with some rocks in
the way. (I mean it only takes one or two people to push a Jeep right)

This will draw more like 100 or less amps.

I think my Optima battery could handle getting me out of the water using
the winch.

I 'know' 100% for sure my Optima battery can get me out of the water
using my starter and 2nd gear to walk it and still start the Jeep a bit
later.

Now if you need the 'full' 9500 lb pulling to get out which will draw
450 amps, you are in deep do do with a stalled engine unless you only
need a 1' pop out.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 13th 05, 07:46 PM
Jerry Bransford

Bill is getting a fair education on 'lectrical stuff today.

Jerry

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 13th 05, 08:33 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

BUT, for the sake of argument what would it take to generate the
power required to max it out at ninety five hundred pounds.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 13th 05, 08:57 PM
Mike Romain

Pretty much any battery will handle a 450 amp load for a short time. My
alternator is only 70A or so.

I have had my cables smoking once when it stalled pulling a wheel and
axle less hulk out of the bush. That was a serious draw and the
battery/alternator had to work hard for a while after. It pulled the
idle down for a while because of the draw on the alternator. I had to
use my hand throttle.

Mike

Old January 14th 05, 12:14 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Mike,
FYI Warn battery recommends a "battery with a minimum rating of 650
cold cranking amps is recommended to obtain peak performance from your
winch.": http://www.jonfund.com/technical/tec.../winchtech.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 14th 05, 05:31 AM

Jerry Bransford wrote:
> tell us all how long an electrical winch will last running off the
> battery in TYPICAL USEAGE before the battery is drained.

TRANSLATION --> "easy pulls". jery ive stated many times that electric
winches do fine most of the time. the benefits of going hydraulic
(and ive said this many times) become obvious when you need a winch the
most....on long nasty tough pulls. for most situations an electric
winch will serve you just fine, ive _never_ said otherwise. hell, in
_most_ situations a come-along will serve you just fine. while it also
handles easy pulls, the hydraulic winch is designed and built for true
heavy duty/industrial usage and this is where youll benefit from them
most.