MileMarker PE8000

Old January 12th 05, 07:38 AM

Jerry Bransford wrote:
> Well let's just agree to disagree

fair enough.

> Milemarker is the best thing
> since sliced bread came along.

now thats not an accurate assessment of anything ive said. im simply
challenging the silly notion that the military reserves the "serious"
stuff for the few warns they still have on hand. the hydraulic winch
does not heat up, its capable of pulling FULL CAPACITY 24/7 and never
requires cool down. ive said many times that electric winches are
great but c'mon....even you have to admit that for "serious" work,
electric and hydraulic isnt even comparable.

Old January 12th 05, 03:46 PM
Greg

Although the prices of the winches aren't bad, when you add on the
hydrolic addaptor kit of between $249.00 to $429.00 it brings the price up
to a warn.

Old January 12th 05, 04:00 PM
griffin

It is basically a waterproof winch that works off the steering pump (I
think?) and I imagine the idea is that an amphibious lander would be
snorkel-equipped, which means the winch could be completely submerged and
both the truck and winch will operate (unlike an electric). I almost bought
one of the MM winches but it was a refurb and that kinda scared me off. What
I've heard of them is they are extremely slow but extremely reliable.

. com...

Old January 12th 05, 04:17 PM
Mike Romain

I am tellin' ya, no one, but no one better tell my Warn hs9000i that it
'can't' work under water!

My Jeep can safely cross at least 42" deep of standing water which
totally covers my winch. I suppose I should take it apart and make sure
all the seals are up to par before the next serious wheeling season, but
after 4 years on front it sure still worked well last week when I needed
it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 12th 05, 04:56 PM
Jerry Bransford

Mike, our Warn winches can work underneath fresh water but not under
salt water.

Jerry

Mike Romain wrote:
> I am tellin' ya, no one, but no one better tell my Warn hs9000i that it
> 'can't' work under water!
>
> My Jeep can safely cross at least 42" deep of standing water which
> totally covers my winch. I suppose I should take it apart and make sure
> all the seals are up to par before the next serious wheeling season, but
> after 4 years on front it sure still worked well last week when I needed
> it.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>
> griffin wrote:
>
>>It is basically a waterproof winch that works off the steering pump (I
>>think?) and I imagine the idea is that an amphibious lander would be
>>snorkel-equipped, which means the winch could be completely submerged and
>>both the truck and winch will operate (unlike an electric). I almost bought
>>one of the MM winches but it was a refurb and that kinda scared me off. What
>>I've heard of them is they are extremely slow but extremely reliable.

y.com...

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old January 12th 05, 05:17 PM
Mike Romain

Ahh ok. The only time I was stuck in/near salt water was a couple miles
out on a freakin mud flat in the Bay of Fundy's Minas Basin at low
tide. The winch wouldn't have reached anything there and no one else
was crazy enough to drive out for a pull.....

Got real lucky that day! Shoveling a moat around it lowered the water
table enough the soup turned into sand and I drove out just before the
tide caught me. I learned.....

Mike

Old January 12th 05, 08:14 PM
Will Honea

The other consideration when evaluating military winches vs. what a
Jeeper would consider "best" is that the military equipment would be
for recovery but not specifically self-recovery. The dead engine
argument goes away for the most part when discussing unit equipment
where (hopefully) at least one grunt would be smart enough to stay out
of the pickle the others got into. Duty cycle would also come into
play so the argument is a lot more complex than for recreational use.

Personally, I really liked the old PTO winches but you don't see many
of those outside of farm equipment anymore.

Old January 13th 05, 01:51 AM
Eric

> that opinion is ridiculous. the military accepts bids on units meeting
> _specific_ criteria

I've got to say I've been involved in contracts before and the criteria
isn't always a) specific enough or b) correct (in that it IS specific, but
to the detriment of what needs to be accomplished -- i.e. must be a
minority-1-legged-woman-over-6-feet-tall-that-lives-in-the-mountains-and-is-named-bubba-owned
business). Cost plays a big part -- not the ONLY part, but a big part.
Ever heard "feel safe flying on a plane built by the cheapest bidder"?
There's something to that.

That said, I know nothing about winches, which are best, and what the
military uses. Just throwing my 2 cents at the whole contract thingy. :-)

Eric
ups.com...

Old January 13th 05, 05:34 AM

twaldron wrote:
> I have zero experience with hyd. winches, but how do you operate them

if
> you have a stalled engine, like from a water crossing

you dont operate them if you have a stalled engine. its a trade off,
but one im willing to take in order to have the advantages of
hydraulic. besides, despite what anybody tells you, no electric winch
is going to run submerged either, not for long anyway. all electrics
are water resistant and will give you reasonable performance "in"
water, but they arent going to run long _under_ water and if your water
is deep enough to stall the jeep its a safe bet that the electric is
totally under water. the hydraulic on the other hand, will run
indefinately completely submerged so as long as you arent over your
breather (or more if you have a snorkel). i thought about that
argument before going hydraulic....."what if the engine isnt running"
but then it hit me that if the engine isnt running ive got bigger
problems anyway.