need help with labor time, please

Old December 14th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_4_]

Default need help with labor time, please

"*" > wrote in message

> Bob > wrote in article >...
>>

>> Let me get this straight..... Your friend who is an experienced, licensed

>> mechanic is going to pay you..... an accountant, $40/hr to put in his

> heater
>> core. You don't think this story is a little fishy? Do you hire him to do

>> your taxes? LOL!!!!!

> Naw.... They have a pool boy who does taxes on the side.....He charges
> half
> of what H&R Block charges.

Don't laugh, my wife's Gynecologist is building us a house for 50K less than
a local contractor wanted. The greedy *******.....

Old December 14th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

Bob > wrote in article >...

> Don't laugh, my wife's Gynecologist is building us a house for 50K less

than
> a local contractor wanted. The greedy *******.....

I believe if my wife was going to a OB-GYN who had to "moonlight" building
houses, I would suggest she shop around for another OB-GYN.

Maybe she can find a contractor who moonlights as a mid-wife?

Given the shortage of OB-GYNs these days due to malpractice insurance
issues, he ought to be making some pretty good money without needing to be
contractor on the side.

So, now he's stuck with two insurance premiums - medical and
construction.....if he, indeed, DOES have construction insurance....

Old December 15th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Edward Strauss

Jenifloofer > wrote:

> I came on here to ask for a flat rate time on doing a repair. While I
> may not be experienced with labor time books, I have been working on
> cars nearly 12 years. No, I don't know everything - I don't claim that
> I know more than anyone else, however, what I received from almost
> everyone here was criticism, and not the help I was looking for. I
> understand that everyone that is criticizing me has more experience in
> this field, but I do not appreciate the fact that you guys are
> attacking me for trying to make some money on the side. Tell me you've
> never done it?

> I am a stay at home mother of two children ages 3 & 1. It is by far
> the most stressful job I've had, and I'm 31. I sit with the kids all
> day, and look for something to do by myself after my husband gets home.
> If I didn't have something, I'd go crazy.

> So, just so everyone knows - what I do is my business. I did not come
> here to get yelled at for asking about working on cars. I just asked a
> simple question. The fact that only a few people answered my question,
> and the rest used my question as a target to pursue is very wrong, and
> very unappreciated.

> Oh, and regarding the labor charges at dealerships, etc.... I do not
> believe that the dealer should be enjoying a 35% mark-up on parts, and
> a 50% markup on labor. As Americans, we pay too much for any service
> in the service industry. I'm just trying to help out a friend so that
> he doesn't have to pay a much larger charge. And yes, he is a guy, who
> understands cars, and has rebuilt his own in the past. He doesn't have
> the time to work on his car right now, and I do, so he asked me to help
> him.

> Please stop picking apart my messages, and trying to criticize what I
> do. I am happy with what I do, and it makes me feel good to stay at
> home to raise my kids, and at the same time, make some money to help
> support the house.

> Again, all I wanted was labor time, which I received - thank you again
> to the people that were helpful, and those defending me.

> Wishing everyone Happy Holidays!!

> Jennifer

If he is you friend charge him whatever you want and be done with it. Do you think that the internet is
a source of perfect answers??
Old December 15th 06, 09:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Edward Strauss

Nate Nagel > wrote:
> * wrote:
> > MT-2500 > wrote in article
> >

> >>Come on give us a break.
> >>That is enough crap to last us a lifetime.
> >>If you want to bash moonlighters start a new post on moonlighting

> > Bashing.
> >

> > Why?
> >
> > This post was started by a moonlighter who doesn't have enough
> > knowledge/experience to find the flat rate time for a particular job, yet
> > expects to be paid on the same level as many of the smaller professional
> > shops throughout America - $40.00 per hour.
> >
> > That is simply outrageous, in my opinion.

> Where in the hell can I find a pro repair shop that does a decent job
> for less than $90 an hour. This is an honest question, I would like to
> know. Pref. within 100 miles of 22046.

Make friends, ask around. These are things you find out through personal contact instead
of a keyboard...
Old December 15th 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

Edward Strauss wrote:
> Nate Nagel > wrote:
>
>>* wrote:
>>
>>>MT-2500 > wrote in article

>>>Bashing.
>>>

>>>Why?
>>>
>>>This post was started by a moonlighter who doesn't have enough
>>>knowledge/experience to find the flat rate time for a particular job, yet
>>>expects to be paid on the same level as many of the smaller professional
>>>shops throughout America - $40.00 per hour.
>>>
>>>That is simply outrageous, in my opinion.

>>Where in the hell can I find a pro repair shop that does a decent job
>>for less than $90 an hour. This is an honest question, I would like to
>>know. Pref. within 100 miles of 22046.

> Make friends, ask around. These are things you find out through personal contact instead
> of a keyboard...

My point is, there isn't any. Even crap shops charge $90 an hour.
Nobody charges $40 an hour.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 16th 06, 09:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Edward Strauss

Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Edward Strauss wrote:
> > Nate Nagel > wrote:

> >>Where in the hell can I find a pro repair shop that does a decent job
> >>for less than $90 an hour. This is an honest question, I would like to
> >>know. Pref. within 100 miles of 22046.

> > Make friends, ask around. These are things you find out through personal contact instead
> > of a keyboard...

> My point is, there isn't any. Even crap shops charge $90 an hour.
> Nobody charges $40 an hour.

22046 is the zip code for Falls Church Va. Within 100 miles you are in rural central Va
or West Va. Nobody does not live in these areas. I expect that you could get some
reasonable mechanic work done if you are willing to travel that far...
Old December 16th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MT-2500[_99_]

Nate Nagel Wrote:
> Edward Strauss wrote:
> > Nate Nagel > wrote:

> job, yet

> professional

> >>Where in the hell can I find a pro repair shop that does a decent

> job
> >>for less than $90 an hour. This is an honest question, I would like

> >>know. Pref. within 100 miles of 22046.

> > Make friends, ask around. These are things you find out through

> personal contact instead
> > of a keyboard...

> My point is, there isn't any. Even crap shops charge $90 an hour.
> Nobody charges $40 an hour.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

The key is to find a good one.
But the good one do charge good or there work.
Check around Ask around
Word of mouth.
Family friends coworkers neighbors business people and delivery
people.
Mailmen and parcel delivery people get around and notice a lot of
stuff.
Even a good parts house knows what shops are good and not good.
Chamber of commerce and better business bureau and city hall.
If you find a good referral to a repair shop go look them over and talk
to them.
Look for a clean looking busy place with nice people running it.
Ask a few questions and ask about their qualifications and training.
Not all places have trained tech/mechanics.
If they do not find a place that does.
Even all dealers do not have all trained techs/mechanics.

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930

http://www.automotiveforums.com