Something rotten here...

Old February 1st 10, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Something rotten here...

Watching noon day local tv news.

Parts to fix Toyota gas pedals are on the way by this weekend.About 19
deaths attributed to Toyota in the last decade.A Texas family is
considering a class action lawsuit agains't Toyota.Toyota sales are down
about forty percent.

I wish Toyota didn't have the problems they have now.I would wish that
for all auto manufacturers.
cuhulin

Old February 1st 10, 07:31 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 09:44:07 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

> My kid does it often enough, but I won't touch it. I just know I'd end up
> breaking out the slugging hammer and 3' pry bar. No aptitude or patience
> for it. The kid can look at a fastener and know exactly how it works, and
> how to make it unfasten without breaking it. Even when it's hidden, he
> knows what's there. And he can put it back together the same way. I can't
> do that. Wish they made cars of galvanized/threaded pipe. Then I could
> shine.
> Nah, probably a bad idea.

Actually, I like that!

Who would make it? Tata in India? The Tata Pipe Dream...

Old February 1st 10, 07:35 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 07:35:20 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

>> My kid does it often enough, but I won't touch it. I just know I'd end
>> up breaking out the slugging hammer and 3' pry bar. No aptitude or
>> patience for it. The kid can look at a fastener and know exactly how it
>> works, and how to make it unfasten without breaking it. Even when it's
>> hidden, he knows what's there. And he can put it back together the same
>> way. I can't do that. Wish they made cars of galvanized/threaded pipe.
>> Then I could shine.
>> Nah, probably a bad idea.

> Thanks for the info. Congrats on your son. My father had a talent at
> looking at things and solving problems in his mind first. Me, I'm so-so.

I do that when I'm coming up with a kludge for something...
I made a light controller for our band (old hippies and stoners know it as
a Three Channel Color Organ) but modified it for 900 watts per channel...

I didn't like the 45 minutes my e-cig's battery gave me, so a trip to
various stores came up with one that lasts 4 days...

Garage door screen. This one was easy...

And car stereo and other elctronics installation? Child's play!

However, I usually have a headache by the end of the day...

Old February 19th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bruce W. Ellis

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:46:06 -0600, Don Stauffer
> wrote:

>Hachiroku ???? wrote:
>> A 68 year old woman ran her car through a brick and steel wall, into a
>> laundromat, and damaged the wall and 5 or 6 washing machines, you know,
>> the big industrial ones...
>>
>> She was sneaking up on a parking space when all of a sudden the car
>> accelerated and crashed through the wall and the washing machines.
>>
>> She was driving a Camry. The accident has been attributed by the media to
>> a 'sticking accelerator'.
>>
>> Um, how FAST are you driving when pulling into a parking space? Fast
>> enough to crash through a brick wall?
>>

>I noticed this too. Sticking throttle would not account for
>acceleration. Maintaining speed when you slow down, sure, but not rapid
>unintended acceleration.
>
>I have had three cars that have had sticking accelerators (well, two
>sticking and one failure of the carb return spring). Two were stick
>shift, easy enough to react to, it is almost instinctive to declutch.
>Now that both of our cars are automatic, we'll see how I react the next
>time it happens :-(

1st step: Apply the breaks hard, bogging down the motor.
2nd step: Shift to neutral. Rev limiter will prevent motor damage.
3rd step: Get off the road to a shoulder, if possible.
4th step: Kill the motor (key, button, or whatever works on the car).
5th step: Catch breath, check underwear.

However, many (most?) drivers will panic and god only knows what they
will do other than yell.