SWAPING A PONTIAC 301 WITH A 1971 OLDS 350

Old July 18th 05, 04:26 AM
LouLou

Default SWAPING A PONTIAC 301 WITH A 1971 OLDS 350

IM LOOKING TO SWAP A PONTIAC 301 WITH A 1971 OLDS 350 INTO A 1979
PONTIAC FIREBIRD.IS THIS AN EASY TASK?DO I HAVE TO CHANGE ANYTHING IN
THE CAR? ANY HELPFUL TIPS WOULD BE APPRECITED .THANKS

Old July 18th 05, 03:20 PM
ed

sure thats not a 307 your starting with?

Old July 19th 05, 12:25 AM
LouLou

I DONT KNOW.WHENI BOUGHT THE CAR I WAS TOLD IT WAS A 301.I WAS TRYING
TO FIND A PONTIAC 400 BUT I FIGURED THE OLDS 350 WOULDNT BE TOO MUCH OF
A PROBLEM TO PUT IN.I WILL CHECK TO SEE IF IT'S A 307.WOULD THE 307
MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH THE SWAP?

Old July 19th 05, 12:45 AM
mst

On 18 Jul 2005 16:25:34 -0700
"LouLou" > wrote:

> I DONT KNOW.WHENI BOUGHT THE CAR I WAS TOLD IT WAS A 301.I WAS TRYING
> TO FIND A PONTIAC 400 BUT I FIGURED THE OLDS 350 WOULDNT BE TOO MUCH
> OF A PROBLEM TO PUT IN.I WILL CHECK TO SEE IF IT'S A 307.WOULD THE 307
> MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH THE SWAP?

Please stop yelling.

--
remove MYSHOES to email
Old July 19th 05, 07:16 AM
NapalmHeart

"ed" > wrote in message
> sure thats not a 307 your starting with?

Pontiac did make a 301 engine.

Old July 19th 05, 04:27 PM
ray

mst wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2005 16:25:34 -0700
> "LouLou" > wrote:
>

>>I DONT KNOW.WHENI BOUGHT THE CAR I WAS TOLD IT WAS A 301.I WAS TRYING
>>TO FIND A PONTIAC 400 BUT I FIGURED THE OLDS 350 WOULDNT BE TOO MUCH
>>OF A PROBLEM TO PUT IN.I WILL CHECK TO SEE IF IT'S A 307.WOULD THE 307
>>MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH THE SWAP?

> Please stop yelling.

and tell us what kind of car you're doing the swap in.
70's firebird would probably be easy if the mounts line up.
A Fiero might be a bit more work.

Old July 19th 05, 05:37 PM
Steve W.

"LouLou" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> IM LOOKING TO SWAP A PONTIAC 301 WITH A 1971 OLDS 350 INTO A 1979
> PONTIAC FIREBIRD.IS THIS AN EASY TASK?DO I HAVE TO CHANGE ANYTHING IN
> THE CAR? ANY HELPFUL TIPS WOULD BE APPRECITED .THANKS

FIRST SHUT OFF THE CAPS LOCK.

Now. Could I ask why you want to do the swap. That 301 is a better
engine that the olds 350. It was BUILT for racing. The 301 is actually a
400 that was decked and destroked to allow it to run in trans am racing.
It is one beast of an engine when turned back up. Has a stronger crank,
higher revving valvetrain and MUCH stronger block. In turbo form it will
really get up and go. Had one in a '78 Grand Prix, man what a beast.
bone stock it would run 120mph like nothing. Almost wish I never got rid
of it but the frame rotted off in the back (repaired it with a rear
clip) and then a deer decided it wanted a ride.

That said IF you still plan on the swap it is easy since they share the
same bellhousing. The mounts may need to be moved forward depending on
which mounts the olds had. Fuel system won't be a problem since they
are both carbed.

Steve W.

Old July 19th 05, 07:08 PM
ray

Steve W. wrote:
> "LouLou" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>IM LOOKING TO SWAP A PONTIAC 301 WITH A 1971 OLDS 350 INTO A 1979
>>PONTIAC FIREBIRD.IS THIS AN EASY TASK?DO I HAVE TO CHANGE ANYTHING IN
>>THE CAR? ANY HELPFUL TIPS WOULD BE APPRECITED .THANKS
>>

> FIRST SHUT OFF THE CAPS LOCK.
>
> Now. Could I ask why you want to do the swap. That 301 is a better
> engine that the olds 350. It was BUILT for racing. The 301 is actually a
> 400 that was decked and destroked to allow it to run in trans am racing.
> It is one beast of an engine when turned back up. Has a stronger crank,
> higher revving valvetrain and MUCH stronger block. In turbo form it will
> really get up and go. Had one in a '78 Grand Prix, man what a beast.
> bone stock it would run 120mph like nothing. Almost wish I never got rid
> of it but the frame rotted off in the back (repaired it with a rear
> clip) and then a deer decided it wanted a ride.
>
> That said IF you still plan on the swap it is easy since they share the
> same bellhousing. The mounts may need to be moved forward depending on
> which mounts the olds had. Fuel system won't be a problem since they
> are both carbed.
>
> Steve W.

are you high? which racing series was a Pontiac 301 entered in? I
wouldn't use one in a demo derby. If I owned a boat that needed an
anchor... I'd use the 301 that came in my 80 TA project car.
150hp doesn't impress me in a 4000 pound car.
I'm trying to remember how many bearings it had, but it wasn't enough.
The airflow through the heads sucked too.

Ray
Old July 19th 05, 07:32 PM
Steve W.

"ray" > wrote in message
> Steve W. wrote:
> > "LouLou" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> >>IM LOOKING TO SWAP A PONTIAC 301 WITH A 1971 OLDS 350 INTO A 1979
> >>PONTIAC FIREBIRD.IS THIS AN EASY TASK?DO I HAVE TO CHANGE ANYTHING

IN
> >>THE CAR? ANY HELPFUL TIPS WOULD BE APPRECITED .THANKS
> >>

> > FIRST SHUT OFF THE CAPS LOCK.
> >
> > Now. Could I ask why you want to do the swap. That 301 is a better
> > engine that the olds 350. It was BUILT for racing. The 301 is

actually a
> > 400 that was decked and destroked to allow it to run in trans am

racing.
> > It is one beast of an engine when turned back up. Has a stronger

crank,
> > higher revving valvetrain and MUCH stronger block. In turbo form it

will
> > really get up and go. Had one in a '78 Grand Prix, man what a beast.
> > bone stock it would run 120mph like nothing. Almost wish I never got

rid
> > of it but the frame rotted off in the back (repaired it with a rear
> > clip) and then a deer decided it wanted a ride.
> >
> > That said IF you still plan on the swap it is easy since they share

the
> > same bellhousing. The mounts may need to be moved forward depending

on
> > which mounts the olds had. Fuel system won't be a problem since

they
> > are both carbed.
> >
> > Steve W.
> >

> are you high? which racing series was a Pontiac 301 entered in? I
> wouldn't use one in a demo derby. If I owned a boat that needed an
> anchor... I'd use the 301 that came in my 80 TA project car.
> 150hp doesn't impress me in a 4000 pound car.
> I'm trying to remember how many bearings it had, but it wasn't enough.
> The airflow through the heads sucked too.
>
> Ray

The net output of the turbocharged 301 (Engine Code "YL") varied but was
generally cited as being 210 horsepower at 4000 rpm, down 10 horsepower
from the mighty T/A 6.6 engine laid to rest after the '79 model year.
Bolting on the turbocharger bumped the torque up to 345 lb/ft @ 2000
rpm, a 25 ft/lb increase over the T/A 6.6L engine. The compression ratio
of the engine was lowered to 7.5:1 and was fitted with a derivitave of
GM's Buick electronic control unit to monitor boost and timing settings.
Maximum boost was achieved at around 3500 rpm, a little below the shift
point.

The turbocharger was a grand idea, but the technology to make it work
properly was nonexistent at the end of the 70's. As the newer high
octance fuels were ave today were not yet availiable, the engine had to
operate on substandard fuels (Sunoco 94 was and the like nowhere to be
found) of 87 to 90 octane, and this would have led to severe detonation
under boost if it were not for the ECU. By placing a vibration sensor
in the valley between the cylinders which would detect detonation, the
ECU interrupted this chain reaction by retarding the ignition timing and
reducing boost pressure until the detonation was gone. By utilizing
these computer controls, this process was repeatedly continued during
the operation of the engine, attempting to keep the engine running at
optimum performance all the time. By eliminating so much timing, the
result was a none to powerful feeling from the turbo engine. With
today's fuels, many owners claim quite reasonable performance and many
of these engines have lived well beyond the 150,000 mile mark with
little other than routine mainenance.

Old July 19th 05, 10:01 PM
ray

Steve W. wrote:
> the operation of the engine, attempting to keep the engine running at
> optimum performance all the time. By eliminating so much timing, the
> result was a none to powerful feeling from the turbo engine. With
> today's fuels, many owners claim quite reasonable performance and many
> of these engines have lived well beyond the 150,000 mile mark with
> little other than routine mainenance.

ok, I get your point, you like the 301. I'll sell you mine, cheap.
0-60 in 10 seconds isn't a selling feature for me.

Didn't they also siamese port the intake and reduce the number of main
bearings?

Hey, I like the idea of the 301 - low weight, short stroke... but the
reality is they were slow then and are really really slow now.

Two of my favorite car designs are the 80 TA and 80 Vettes, but with
non-stock engines... 1980 wasn't a great year for horsepower.

98 Olds Intrigue won't start John Clonts Technology 0 July 10th 05 06:41 PM
Saturn vs Pontiac marx404 Saturn 16 April 5th 05 02:22 AM
For Sale: 3 Ford Trucks, 1968, 1969 & 1971 [email protected] 4x4 0 December 18th 04 10:20 AM
misc cars 4 sale 55 Lincoln, 56 Pontiac, 57 Olds, 58 Buick, 58 Cady, 59 Cady, 70 Cady G. Westburg Antique cars 0 October 13th 04 05:22 AM
FS: 1997 Rob Atchison Pontiac Firebird "FUNNYCAR" Promo Sheet J.R. Sinclair General 0 March 3rd 04 06:46 AM