Timing belt: did you change it, did it break on you?

Old June 29th 05, 12:14 AM
hachiroku

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:04:14 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> hachiroku wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:05:52 +0000, Ajanta wrote:
>>
>> > Daniel > wrote:
>> >
>> > : Gen. III, timing belt replacement interval: 60,000 miles. If you change
>> > : them at the recommended interval, they don't break.
>> > : Did my own work.
>> > : Found several errors and damagae inflicted by prior mechanics.
>> > : Copy of my own records follows: (by the way, I learned to do this by
>> > : reading online groups and the service manuals. When I first purchased
>> > : the car, didn't even know how to change the air filter element)
>> >
>> > I am inspired to try, at least for small things: I am an apartment
>> > dweller, there is no convenient place to store tools or do work.
>> >
>> > I'll start with air filters and spark plugs. They are due. That will
>> > take care of tune up. :-)
>> >
>> > Which manual do you recommend, Hays or Chilton? (98 Camry)

>> Both. They both have strong and weak points. My experience is that a weak
>> point in one is covered better in the other.

> Ditto. One or the other is better for each model, but you don't know which
> until you buy both of them, so you might as well buy them both at once.
>
> I haven't seen Clymer manuals for a long time. Anybody know if they're still
> around?

I haven't either!! I used to use them to rebuild motorcycles. I'd have a
Clymer's and the Yamaha manual, and, like I mentioned before, one covered
better what the other didn't. And I started COLD; I had very little
mechanical training (I was an electronics technician)and NO Motorcycle
experience at all. The Clymer's were really pretty good, I had one for an
'80 Corolla and it was good.

Old June 29th 05, 12:16 AM
hachiroku

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:31:53 -0700, Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:

>> I haven't seen Clymer manuals for a long time. Anybody know
>> if they're still around?

> I hadn't thought about Clymer in a while. It looks as though they're
> still around (http://www.clymer.com/) but seem to have bailed out of
> the automobile market in favor of concentrating on other sorts of
> vehicles and engines, as well as various trade publications, mostly
> concerning electrical gear. Pity; they used to be one of the class
> acts in aftermarket car-repair manuals.
>
> My experience has been that buying one or both aftermarket manuals (I
> guess the USAmerican choices are now down to Chilton and Haynes) is
> necessary if you rely solely on them for anything more advanced than
> oil changes and so forth... and helpful even if you are serious enough
> about it to shell out for the "real" shop manual for your car.
>
> They all cover different things in different ways -- and sometimes the
> aftermarket ones catch a running change that eluded your particular
> edition of the dead-tree shop manual, or show/explain things for the
> beginner that would be taken for granted in a book written for a pro.
> It's just nice to have the different perspectives, especially when
> dealing with a kind of repair you've never done before, or with some
> weirdness specific to a year or a body style.
>
> If I could only have one, of course, it would be the shop manual(s),
> which are more authoritative, more comprehensive, and less confused
> by attempts to cover a range of models and years as the aftermarket
> manuals usually do.
>
> --Joe

What about Bentley's?

I have seen two of them, and from what I've seen, you could almost take
the car apart and put it back together using one of these!
Old June 29th 05, 02:53 AM
The Real Bev

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:

> > I haven't seen Clymer manuals for a long time. Anybody know
> > if they're still around?

> I hadn't thought about Clymer in a while. It looks as though they're
> still around (http://www.clymer.com/) but seem to have bailed out of
> the automobile market in favor of concentrating on other sorts of
> vehicles and engines, as well as various trade publications, mostly
> concerning electrical gear. Pity; they used to be one of the class
> acts in aftermarket car-repair manuals.

A Clymer manual came with my 1960 Ducati Monza. It was an excellent manual
("If you lose your key, replace it with a piece of metal of the same
approximate size.") with some interesting quirks: A complete labeled exploded
engine illustration occupied two pages, while a drawing of a sparkplug (also
labeled) took up half a page (vertical). Now the Ducati is lumped in with all
the other "pro vintage 4-stroke motorcycles" in one manual.

We met Floyd Clymer when had an Indian dealership (sadly reduced to the
cute-as-hell Little (or maybe Li'l) Indian, a tiny jewel for 6-year-olds) and
manual shop (I think) in Los Angeles a long time ago. Voila:
http://hometown.aol.com/indianminimi...pageindex.html

> My experience has been that buying one or both aftermarket manuals (I
> guess the USAmerican choices are now down to Chilton and Haynes) is
> necessary if you rely solely on them for anything more advanced than
> oil changes and so forth... and helpful even if you are serious enough
> about it to shell out for the "real" shop manual for your car.

The Clymer 'vintage' manual is $29. How much are REAL shop manuals now?

--
Cheers, Bev
I didn't break it! It was doing that before I broke it... er...
Old July 7th 05, 09:05 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

> What about Bentley's?

Forgot about them -- my bad -- probably because I haven't seen one in a
bricks-and-mortar store for a long time, if ever. They're very much
still around:
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/about.books.htm

Cheers,
--Joe

Old July 8th 05, 06:21 AM
Bernard Farquart

"Ad absurdum per aspera" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> What about Bentley's?

> Forgot about them -- my bad -- probably because I haven't seen one in a
> bricks-and-mortar store for a long time, if ever. They're very much
> still around:
> http://www.bentleypublishers.com/about.books.htm

They are also sold through Beck Arnley, in the back
of the late model part catalog.

Bernard

Old July 14th 05, 07:54 PM
Arif Khokar

Zvpunry W. Ebfraobet wrote:
> Yes, only once at 155,813 miles. There was no warning; I was waiting to
> make a turn at an intersection when it suddenly went dead. Fortunately, it
> was downhill to the nearest parking lot.
>
> [snipped]

^^^^^^^^^
So you're saying that it was sabatoge then
Old July 19th 05, 05:05 AM
ajocius

Back in 1992 my 1990 Camry was parked at the mall. It was raining outside
and the air was damp. I turned the ignition key and only got a red lamp
with the engine not even turning over. The car was two years old and the
dealer said that the belt snapped. I had 63,000 miles on the car. Torrance
Toyota replaced the belt and the next day I was on my way. I change my belt
religiously every 60K since.

Tony

Old July 20th 05, 05:24 AM
Bobbie

My 1990 Camry just turned 240,000 miles. I have never changed timing belt!!.

Old July 20th 05, 05:43 AM
Bob

"Bobbie" > wrote in message
> My 1990 Camry just turned 240,000 miles. I have never changed timing
> belt!!.

Well good for you! And let me guess... you've only changed the oil like
twice? Garbage has been piling up in your back yard for years because you
are too "thrifty" to pay someone to remove it?

Old July 21st 05, 02:50 AM
hachiroku

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 04:24:10 +0000, Bobbie wrote:

> My 1990 Camry just turned 240,000 miles. I have never changed timing
> belt!!.

Who did?

I can't believe this one, but, then again, stranger things have happened.

Just a word of caution: if you have a twin cam, you'll do ok. If you have
a SOHC, you'll be junking the car...