Illinois becoming more communist as we speak...

Old July 14th 05, 08:24 AM
Pooh Bear

Jim Yanik wrote:

> DTJ > wrote in
> :
>
> > On the news today - cameras in construction zones, and tickets to be
> > mailed to all drivers who drive through the area.
> >
> > Makes sense if you think about how every driver speeds through these
> > areas, as to do the speed limit would get you killed.
> >
> > I guess I will just have to make sure to drive REAL ****ING CLOSE to
> > the guy ahead of me so the communists can't see my plate.

> Use Photoblocker spray.

You mean black paint ?

Graham

Old July 14th 05, 10:57 AM
Nate Nagel

Pooh Bear wrote:
> DTJ wrote:
>

>>On the news today - cameras in construction zones, and tickets to be
>>mailed to all drivers who drive through the area.
>>
>>Makes sense if you think about how every driver speeds through these
>>areas, as to do the speed limit would get you killed.
>>
>>I guess I will just have to make sure to drive REAL ****ING CLOSE to
>>the guy ahead of me so the communists can't see my plate.

> Are you suggesting speeding in a construction zone is ok ?

Sure it is, with the limits in place in most places in the US.

> Over here in the UK we take the construction zone limits quite seriously
> for the simple reason that some poor humans actually need to do their
> job there and we don't want to kill them by accident !

You're implying that a) people are actually working in the construction
zone and b) the low limits are actually necessary for the safety of all
involved. Generally in the US neither is the case, but the low limits
remain.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old July 14th 05, 01:45 PM
JohnH

>> Ok, show me one incidence where someone was killed for *not* speeding
>> through a construction zone.

> I've been nearly killed a few times. That sort of thing happens when
> you are going 20+mph slower than the flow.

Please tell us how you nearly died! The spontaneous fiery wreck, the
ambulance ride, the momentary soul departure... all that.

Old July 14th 05, 01:59 PM
JohnH

>>> Why does it matter? Only an idiot would do the speed limit in these
>>> zones. Doing so is suicide.

>> Talk about a point being lost!
>>
>> Ok, show me one incidence where someone was killed for *not* speeding
>> through a construction zone.

> How about this scenario:
>
> The typical traffic speed on road is 70 mph. The normal posted limit
> is 50 mph. The construction zone speed limit is 35 mph. Traffic
> speed slows down to 60 mph. A cyclist is riding through the
> construction zone at 30 mph. How likely is it that the cyclist will
> survive?

Despite the absurdity of your example, the cyclist has a normal chance of
survival rate unless someone does something stupid like turns in front of
him - but they wouldn't take a turn at 60, now would they? Of course morons
do stupid **** like heave things at cyclists and run them off the road, but
they do that at all speeds.

I didn't think anyone would be able to show an example where someone was
killed for not speeding through a construction zone. I think at worst they
may have felt intimidated by a tailgater (I was almost *killed!*). Flip the
mirror up in that case.

Old July 14th 05, 04:05 PM
John F. Carr

In article >,
Pooh Bear > wrote:
>Are you suggesting speeding in a construction zone is ok ?

Yes, and the police around here agree. When a state agency
posted a dangerously low 45 MPH speed limit in a construction
zone the police told drivers to drive 60 and said if a speed
reduction were necessary the police would set up a 55 MPH
rolling roadblock.

>Over here in the UK we take the construction zone limits quite seriously
>for the simple reason that some poor humans actually need to do their
>job there and we don't want to kill them by accident !

Over here a large majority of fatalites are vehicle occupants,
not workers, but the workers have a powerful lobbying force.
The government would rather see ten dead drivers than one
dead union member.

--
John Carr )
Old July 14th 05, 07:39 PM
JohnH

John F. Carr wrote:
> In article >,
> Pooh Bear > wrote:
>> Are you suggesting speeding in a construction zone is ok ?

> Yes, and the police around here agree. When a state agency
> posted a dangerously low 45 MPH speed limit in a construction
> zone the police told drivers to drive 60 and said if a speed
> reduction were necessary the police would set up a 55 MPH
> rolling roadblock.

"dangerously low 45 MPH speed limit" - that is downright comical.

Exactly how did the police tell all these drivers it was OK to speed through
the construction site? Bullhorns? Signs?

>> Over here in the UK we take the construction zone limits quite
>> seriously for the simple reason that some poor humans actually need
>> to do their job there and we don't want to kill them by accident !

> Over here a large majority of fatalites are vehicle occupants,
> not workers, but the workers have a powerful lobbying force.
> The government would rather see ten dead drivers than one
> dead union member.

Simply amazing.

Old July 14th 05, 08:12 PM
Garth Almgren

Around 7/14/2005 11:39 AM, JohnH wrote:

> John F. Carr wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>Pooh Bear > wrote:
>>
>>>Are you suggesting speeding in a construction zone is ok ?

>>Yes, and the police around here agree. When a state agency
>>posted a dangerously low 45 MPH speed limit in a construction
>>zone the police told drivers to drive 60 and said if a speed
>>reduction were necessary the police would set up a 55 MPH
>>rolling roadblock.

> "dangerously low 45 MPH speed limit" - that is downright comical.

If it weren't scary, it might be.

So, posting a 45 MPH speed limit in a stretch of road that has a normal
speed above 60 doesn't sound dangerous to you?

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old July 14th 05, 08:12 PM
John F. Carr

In article >,
JohnH > wrote:
>John F. Carr wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Pooh Bear > wrote:
>>> Are you suggesting speeding in a construction zone is ok ?

>> Yes, and the police around here agree. When a state agency
>> posted a dangerously low 45 MPH speed limit in a construction
>> zone the police told drivers to drive 60 and said if a speed
>> reduction were necessary the police would set up a 55 MPH
>> rolling roadblock.

>"dangerously low 45 MPH speed limit" - that is downright comical.
>
>Exactly how did the police tell all these drivers it was OK to speed through
>the construction site? Bullhorns? Signs?

Newspaper. The police officer in charge of the troop that patrols
the Turnpike explicitly assured drivers that they would not get
speeding tickets for 60 or less in the 45 zone.

--
John Carr )
Old July 14th 05, 08:56 PM
Brent P

In article >, JohnH wrote:

> "dangerously low 45 MPH speed limit" - that is downright comical.

I've never seen an ISP officer obey a construction zone speed limit. I
haven't seen an ISP officer obey a speed limit period in many years now.

Old July 14th 05, 08:57 PM
Brent P

In article >, JohnH wrote:
>>> Ok, show me one incidence where someone was killed for *not* speeding
>>> through a construction zone.

>> I've been nearly killed a few times. That sort of thing happens when
>> you are going 20+mph slower than the flow.

> Please tell us how you nearly died! The spontaneous fiery wreck, the
> ambulance ride, the momentary soul departure... all that.

A large truck nearly rear ending me was the last one.