? about 97' cadillac seville

Old September 13th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jcrazy1

Default ? about 97' cadillac seville

I turned the key and nothing. Got good cables, battery, charge... so I
though it was the starter. The darn starter is under the intake
manifold! I wanted to make sure it was the starter before I went and
pulled the manifold to get to it. After further examination I noticed
a click when the key was turned. It's not coming from the starter
soleniod, it's coming from the relay. Could the relay be bad? how do I
know it's the relay and not the starter, so I don't have to pull the
manifold? Is the relay supposed to click like that? Any help/advice
would be much appreciated!

Old September 13th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_135_]

jcrazy1 Wrote:
> I turned the key and nothing. Got good cables, battery, charge... so I
> though it was the starter. The darn starter is under the intake
> manifold! I wanted to make sure it was the starter before I went and
> pulled the manifold to get to it. After further examination I noticed
> a click when the key was turned. It's not coming from the starter
> soleniod, it's coming from the relay. Could the relay be bad? how do I
> know it's the relay and not the starter, so I don't have to pull the
> manifold? Is the relay supposed to click like that? Any help/advice
> would be much appreciated!

Yes, it's supposed to click as it enegizes the starter, but there are
several relays that turn things off as demanded when the motor is
cranked...make sure it actually is the starter relay you hear...and if
not try replacing it or swapping it with one of the same part number
near it, and see what happens...also I think your positive cable is
probably like mine, heads over to a remote jumpstart terminal and
ignition feed block before heading out to the starter, it's common for
the connection at that block to get weak, and they won't have enough
amperage available through that connection to do any more than energize
the relay, the stater won't crank....check that location if you didn't
already...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 13th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

jcrazy1 > wrote in article
.com>...
> I turned the key and nothing. Got good cables, battery, charge... so I
> though it was the starter. The darn starter is under the intake
> manifold! I wanted to make sure it was the starter before I went and
> pulled the manifold to get to it. After further examination I noticed
> a click when the key was turned. It's not coming from the starter
> soleniod, it's coming from the relay. Could the relay be bad? how do I
> know it's the relay and not the starter, so I don't have to pull the
> manifold? Is the relay supposed to click like that? Any help/advice
> would be much appreciated!

My wild guess would be that if you actually have a 97-foot Seville, as
stated in your subject line - there's GOT to be a horrible voltage drop
between the battery and starter.

Old September 13th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_140_]

* Wrote:
> jcrazy1 > wrote in article
> .com>...
> > I turned the key and nothing. Got good cables, battery, charge... so

> > though it was the starter. The darn starter is under the intake
> > manifold! I wanted to make sure it was the starter before I went and
> > pulled the manifold to get to it. After further examination I noticed
> > a click when the key was turned. It's not coming from the starter
> > soleniod, it's coming from the relay. Could the relay be bad? how do

> > know it's the relay and not the starter, so I don't have to pull the
> > manifold? Is the relay supposed to click like that? Any help/advice
> > would be much appreciated!
> >

> My wild guess would be that if you actually have a 97-foot Seville, as
> stated in your subject line - there's GOT to be a horrible voltage drop
> between the battery and starter.

Actually it says 97 INCH Seville.

Old September 13th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

Jeff', that is feet" that is inches.

Old September 13th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Al Bundy

> Actually it says 97 INCH Seville.
>

> --
> jeffcoslacker

Always better to check before exposing yourself.

Old September 13th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_145_]

You're right...without my glasses I thought it was one of these " not
'....

My bad. Need a bigger monitor.

Old September 13th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TomO[_1_]

jeffcoslacker wrote:
> * Wrote:
>
>>jcrazy1 > wrote in article
ps.com>...

>>>I turned the key and nothing. Got good cables, battery, charge... so

>>>though it was the starter. The darn starter is under the intake
>>>manifold! I wanted to make sure it was the starter before I went and
>>>pulled the manifold to get to it. After further examination I noticed
>>>a click when the key was turned. It's not coming from the starter
>>>soleniod, it's coming from the relay. Could the relay be bad? how do

>>>know it's the relay and not the starter, so I don't have to pull the
>>>manifold? Is the relay supposed to click like that? Any help/advice
>>>would be much appreciated!
>>>

>>My wild guess would be that if you actually have a 97-foot Seville, as
>>stated in your subject line - there's GOT to be a horrible voltage drop
>>between the battery and starter.

> Actually it says 97 INCH Seville.

I thought it was a 97 minute Seville.

Old September 14th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

Jeff your the best, most guys would have been unreasonably argumentative
over getting their b's busted on a non issue.

Old September 14th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

jeffcoslacker > wrote in article

> Actually it says 97 INCH Seville.

Actually, it says 97 FOOT Seville....

" = inches
' = feet

A Seville that is 97' long would actually be 1164" long.

92' cadillac seville caddy Technology 1 May 27th 06 11:48 PM
1991 Cadillac Seville Cam Technology 3 February 10th 06 12:40 PM
Electronic Stability Control, cross-referenced to NCAP safety ratings John Bartley Driving 0 January 2nd 06 08:09 PM
96 Seville warning ABS/Traction/C0027 EJ Technology 2 May 14th 05 10:47 PM
Cadillac Deville vs. Lincoln towncar Carmen Z. General 2 January 2nd 05 12:49 AM