Old May 31st 05, 06:02 AM

Default painting truck ?'s please read (long)

Hi group -
I have an '82 F-100 longbed that has a few rusty spots. I want to just
get that "rat-rod" look of black primer, so I was thinking:
buy 2 (?) gallons of flat black primer
sand the rust spots (quarter sized), spray with aerosol MetalPrep, wash
it and rinse it really well, take it to Maaco, and ask them to spray on
the primer for $200 or so...
I can't work on cars in my apt. complex, and spray cans look VERY
crappy. I just want a CHEAP flat finish to carry my motorcycle around
in.
The truck is off-white now, and I know Maaco would not satisfy me with
the results of a new paint job.
Lots of trucks have this flat primer finish here in west Georgia, but
now I'm afraid just primer alone is too porous, and the rust will start
coming up through the paint. Is epoxy primer better?
I want it to last a few years, and I'm 53, too worn out and busy to
sand a vehicle down properly.
I used pbblaster on the bumper bolts, just to help in removal.
Now I hear that I should use flat black paint and "reduced" clearcoat
to get the look I want, and that this will seal the body from further
rust...
so do I need 2 gallons? Exactly what kind of primer or black paint
(think cheap) is best? I don't even know what flattener or reducers
are, except that they get mixed with the paint...
oh yes - 1 more question - getting a new windshield put in. My limited
intelligence says to do this first, and then it can be masked off...
try to think of the finish on the trucks INSIDE Old Navy stores....but
black - not blue...has anyone seen these?
and if you live near Atlanta and want to tackle this job, please email
me....
thanks for input/ideas............:+) paul