Old April 25th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Hard evidence needed...

wrote:
> that the driver's side airbag is or is not a hazard to a rearward
> facing child seat in the center position in a 2-door pickup truck.
>
> For reasons that take too long to go into, I was wondering if anyone
> has institutional, verifiable evidence that the driver's side airbag in
> a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab presents a significant hazard to a
> child in the center seat position who is properly seated in a rearward
> facing child seat.
>
> The IIHS and NHSTA sites only talk about child seats in the passenger
> position (at least from what I could discern) with no mention of the
> center position; I need to know whether or not I need to disable the
> driver's side airbag as well.
>
> I am well aware that the safest place for a child seat is in the back
> seat of a vehicle. I am also aware that my truck does not have one.
> What I do have is a tether point in the middle and no clear indication
> that the driver's side airbag will impact the baby seat.
>
> Also, if anyone has another forum where I could post a similar query,
> please let me know.
>
> TIA,
> -Phil Crow

I have no such data. However, company I was working for was working on
occupant sensor to control when bag deployed. Problem with rear facing
child seat was that acceleration given to seat by bag would bang child's
head against backrest at sufficient Gs to cause injury. The kid seats
in most cars would not be far from bags.