Old July 23rd 04, 05:01 AM
ZZ

Default 1997 Neon Espresso Coupe Overheats

My 1997 DOHC Espresso coupe has stared running hot
<sometimes>. For the past 7 years, the temp gauge
needle never went over 1/3 from "C". Lately, when in
slow traffic, it has started creeping up. It hasn't
reached the "H" yet but it is over 2/3 up. It only
does this when the A/C is on in slow traffic. (The A/C
blows nice cold air). Coolant level is OK. Car runs
fine. If I turn the A/C off the needle drops back to
the 1/3 mark. If I am traveling at highway speed, it's
OK. I took the car into the dealer, who ran it all
day, in the sun, A/C on and it ran fine with no
problem codes from the computer. Same for me, until 3
days later and now it's doing it again. Outside temps
here are in the +105° to +112° range. Dealer says as
long as it stays in the bracketed area on the gauge
it's OK, and won't throw codes until it actually
reaches the "H". When I pop the hood and look inside
when it's going hot, both fans are running.
If it ran this way from the start, 7 years ago, I'd say it was
normal too, but this is a change from the norm and I am
concerned. I have the following on my THINGS TO DO to
the Neon list:
Replace hoses, thermostat and complete flush.
Any other ideas or suggestions???? Thanks in advance.