Old July 3rd 05, 05:38 PM
rw

Jack Dotson wrote:

> I bought the new style Passat as a 2001.5, which is the same car they are
> currently producing. I drove if for three years and when the lease was up
> my son bought it and is still driving it. This has been the best car I've
> owned and about the only one I never tired of. Son had to take it in for
> it's first repair a couple of months ago, a sticking throttle linkage was
> causing it to idle too low. Fixed in about fifteen minutes. The Passat is
> really just an Audi A-4 with a VW shell and interior (which is of better
> quality then most high end luxury sedans), but sells for allot less. I got
> mine fully loaded with the 1.8T motor for just about 27K. I know of no
> other sedan in the Passat's price range that can top it. Great car!

My wife had a Passat. It had problems too numerous to list. Two
clutches, new computer, etc., etc. A couple of times the "check engine
light" came on while she was driving it out the dealership after a repair.

The final straw: Immediately after having a major scheduled maintenance
service, she was driving it to our summer place in Idaho when the timing
belt broke in the middle of the desert. Of course, the engine was
trashed. It was towed to the nearest VW dealership in Twin Falls and a
new engine was ordered. It took about two months to arrive. (In the
meantime, she had to buy another car.) The new engine was installed and
when they fired it up they found it had seriously bad noises coming from
the valve train. So, they ordered another engine, and it took another
two months. I sold that piece of **** immediately, on consignment so
that the new owner wouldn't know where I live. It was far and away the
worst lemon I've ever owned.