Old June 5th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Crap, I have a cracked block

On 5 Jun 2006 08:26:18 -0700, "mike" > wrote:

>In my original post weeks ago:
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...2925886f8c5e38
>
>I was experiencing coolant loss and overheating, well I took the
>exhaust header off this week-end and found a cracked block. I could see
>the fluid oozing from the block.
>
>I was wondering about my options thinking they are ( in order of cost,
>high to low ):
>a) buy new engine and install self
>b) pull engine self, have it rebuilt with new block, install self
>c) get used engine, install self
>
>Anyone know of some other options I may have?
>
>Mike

To myself, it is an issue of money. I can take a taxi cab for a few
days while changing out an engine. Look at the bottom line...which is
going to save you the most money.

Having a 3.0 liter 2V U code with OHV and SEFI, I can get one of those
out of just about =any= Taurus of vintage 2003 and change it out, en
masse. And use the original engine for *spare parts.* Preferably
from a car that was rear-ended.

I've never done an engine swap before, but I never let little
technicalities like that stand in my way.

The problem is getting the *new* engine on site, so I can do something
with it. I can rent an engine hoist from somewhere, but again we get
into -how- to transport such a beast to my Car Barn.

So take out your calculator and run the numbers in a spreadsheet for
all your a,b,c, scenarios and see which gives you the best results for
the least labor/money.

Myself, I would just have an engine sans transmission pulled from a
junkyard Taurus and have it trucked to my house and left in my
driveway. That should cost me about $700 for the engine, and maybe
$100 for the transport.

3 days of cussing and knuckle scrapes later, she should have another
engine in her. Remember, I'm a NOVICE and don't do this for a living,
so I would be going slow and easy.

If you can get a better deal some other way...go for it.

Lg