Old January 13th 05, 03:41 PM
N8N

Harry K wrote:
> True to an extent. Observing the traffic on my local highway then
> would say that 99% of the drivers in bad weather are -not- good
> drivers. Hardly anyone lengthens their following distance and -none-
> slow down enough.
>
> Harry K

eh, may or may not be true. I've driven some vehicles that have
astonishing capabilities in bad weather. In the rain, even the
Fabulous BeaterPorsche(tm) is very competent, probably more so than the
average car on the road (I attribute this to almost-new tires, and to a
lesser extent excellent balance.) I feel that I *can* drive it
somewhat faster than the "average" vehicle and still do so safely.
However, while your 99% of drivers comment may not be completely
accurate, I'd agree that it is significant - maybe even a majority.
Certainly I was just complaining about the same effect in fog the other
day; I was being "pushed" by several drivers in succession while at the
same time feeling that my speed was such that I was at the absolute
safe limit of my visibility.

nate