Old November 21st 04, 01:55 AM
icd

Default 1996 Explorer XLT Rattle at 2000 RPM

I have a 96 Explorer XLT with 115,000 miles on it
Recently it has developed a rattle (which I assume is coming from the
engine) at between 2000 and 2500 rpm.
The engine check light has not come on.
I have taken it to two independant mechanics. Neither has any good
suggestion.
Has anyone got any ideas as to the cause and possible fixes?

I see that there is are a couple of technical service butletins titled "Some
engines may exhibit an engine noise which may be perceived as a
piston/connecting bearing knock" (#13118, 6896, 01197) Does anyone know the
details for these?
Might the noise be related to one of these know problems?

Thanks
ICD