Old December 14th 04, 08:35 AM
Ropert's Aloha

Default 91 Civic electrical problems

Well I have now replaced my main relay(houses the fuel pump relay) with a
new one from Napa(I had
previously re-soldered all the points) and I replaced the ignition switch
with OEM Honda part. But I still have a problem with the car simply running
great one moment and then the next it's like someone turned off the switch.

I can be driving and the thing just cuts out like the power was turned off
to it. Two years ago it died while driving it and I had to have it towed. At
that time I towed it to a mechanic who replaced the distributor with a
Carquest one. Two years before that, I had myself replaced the igniter when
I had starting problems.

What are the chances the distributor is bad again?? I ran the car tonight
and let it idle and sure enough it died after about 10 minutes. So I pulled
off a plug wire and attached a spark plug to it. Cranked, but definitely NO
SPARK at all.

So do I need another distributor? When I checked the coil with a meter, it
was within the Haynes book numbers. I could just replace the coil and
igniter, but would I be better to replace the whole unit?

There is no Check Engine light. What are the chances the ECU computer is bad
as opposed to a bad distributor??

thanks in advance,

Gary
91 Civic Hatchback 5spd,1500cc,178kmiles
stranded in Hawaii