Old December 16th 04, 12:06 AM
Matt O'Toole

Steve wrote:

> I'm looking at a 1985 BMW 325e that has sat out in a parking lot for
> the last 6 months. The owner says that the rear end has gone out on
> it. It has 165,000 miles on the original motor. It has a standard
> transmition, and no air conditioner. The body is fair, but a couple of
> small rust spots are starting on the rockers. The leather seats are
> o.k. accept for the drivers seat which is pretty much worn out.
>
> Are parts easy to find? Anyone from the Michigan area know where to
> get salvage parts?

There are plenty of parts available in all parts of the country. BMW made over
2 million of this body style.

> How hard is it to change the rear end out?

4 hours.

> What other things should I look out for before buying this car?

A better one with no rust, a decent interior, and a rear end that works. These
cars are all over the place. There are too many nice examples around to bother
with the crappy ones.

Don't worry about mileage -- properly cared for, these cars last to 300k miles
and beyond. One with major problems under 200k is a junker that got that way
from neglect.

Matt O.