Old February 4th 05, 02:57 AM
John

"JohnW" > wrote in message
> Soooo, the suggestion to find a fuel brand that doesn't generate a
> noticable smell means finding one with low sulfur contamination. Too bad
> you can't shop fuels and compare "ingredients" the way you can food in the
> grocery store. Ok, I'll try Mobil on the next fill up folks! That's an
> easy enough experiement!

Maybe and maybe not. On a very, very cold day or if you make a bunch of
short trips, the cat will run cold and can accumulate SOx. Then, when the
weather warms up or you are on a longer trip and the cat is really working
hard and starts releasing the SOx as H2S and SO3 AND you get downwind of the
exhaust, there it is! Until all of the SOx is out of the gasoline, it can
happen.

The gas you got may or may not have been high in SOx. It could have been,
or conditions were just right for the cat to adsorb more SOx then normal and
then desorbed it as you caught a whiff.

**** happens.

--
John