Old January 22nd 05, 10:25 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Raybender > wrote:
> > Are you replacing the struts complete - or only the damper inserts? If
> > the latter, nothing will change. If the complete struts, have the
> > tracking checked. Which I'd do anyway after any such work, since it
> > costs pennies.
> >

> Just the dampers, but the whole strut has to be removed, doesn't it? I
> was assuming that slop in the mounting screws on the front shock tower
> and the spindle could change the alignment.

I'd assume the alignment is provided by the top of the strut being an
exact fit in the housing, and the studs etc merely to secure it - hence
some tolerance in their holes. That's how it works on most strut
suspension - or indeed anything where accurate location is needed like,
for example, the road wheels.

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Dave Plowman London SW