Old July 9th 05, 09:18 PM
W. Moore

Hi again,
Many thanks to all respondents. I wrapped a piece of leather around the
speedo cable threads on the housing and with a pair of channel-locks wiggled
it until it popped out, no busted knuckles or cut hands. I called two Chevy
dealers looking for parts. One didn't have the "O" ring, or the grease seal
in the center of the housing. The second one said he had both so I jumped
in the truck and drove 30 miles to that dealer. Oops was the reply when I
arrived. He misunderstood what year model I had and that it was an
automatic tranny and not a manual tranny. I wonder if he understood
anything that I told him ! After a 60 mile round trip for nothing I called
a local speed shop who told me that the inner grease seal is common for a
range of Chevy auto. trans. models and he can have it in two days, and the
large "O" ring is a standard "on the shelf" item. I'm hoping for good luck
at that shop.

oups.com...