Old September 30th 04, 03:28 PM
Carl Farrington

DesmaisonLCM wrote:
> Thx all for answers, i'll stay with 97 ron , i don't want to destroy
> my engine !
>
> I still have a question : there's octane booster sells in tunning
> shops for exemple, it's like an additive, you don't have to do
> anything on your engine management, just put in your fuel tank, what
> is it ?
> And i don't speak about nitous oxyde kit, which are more and more
> expensive but gives you a big kick in the ass when you press the
> magic button on the dashboard.

Don't know about the off-the-shelf stuff, but common opinion is that they're
snale oil, and I wouldn't disagree. Toluene costs next to nothing, and
octane boosters are a funny subject the ECU and timing etc. On a turbo
charged car it's an entirely different matter. We increase the boost on
those turbos too much and we start getting pre-ignition or detonation, which
is where an octane booster (toluene) comes in. So horses for courses or
whatever, but sometimes there's a good use for them.