Old June 16th 04, 04:49 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Chris Szilagyi wrote:

> I've been trying to find some more information in these groups on a
> potential problem with my '98 Neon Highline (4 cyl, DOHC). Recently
> about a year ago, the transmission started to make a "whining" noise
> when put into reverse, both hot and cold (right away or with engine
> warmed up).

Usually this is caused in this transmission by the line pressure regulator
valve in the valve body. Probably sounds more like the "whistle" some home
hot-water pipes make when first turned on than like a "whine". It only
occurs in Reverse because operating pressure is much higher when in
Reverse than when in any other gear position. Won't hurt anything if this
is indeed the cause -- my '92 LeBaron with the same 3-speed automatic
transmission made this sound in Reverse for many years and miles -- but if
it's bothering you, turning the line pressure adjustment screw
counterclockwise about 5 turns the next time the pan is off will probably
make it go away, just like turning the hot water valve a tetch more open
would make the whistle go away.

> The other weird problem is we cannot press the accelerator pedal down
> as far as it should go, as it stops part-way, almost feels like
> something under the pedal that is blocking it but we checked for that
> inside the cab. Forcing the pedal past this stopping point actually
> causes the transmission to shift to Neutral.

Sounds like a bad kickdown cable is the first place to look, but it could
also be an internal problem. Probably not a serious or difficult one to
correct, though.

-Stern