Old August 17th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

Default Question on Stalling??? maybe fuel pump??

On 16 Aug 2006 19:29:01 -0700, "hdivr" > wrote:

>I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with 68,000 miles. I'm thinking
>I have a fuel related problem. Idles fine and will accelerate normally
>up to 3,000 rpm. After that, runs rough and won't accelerate. Let off
>throttle and idles normally again. So I replaced fuel filter.....no
>luck.
>
>Now I'm thinking fuel pump.

SHOULD set a code.

>Are there other things that I should be looking at???

Constipated exhaust. Does the exhaust sound unnaturally quiet? Is
there a whistle to it? You can disconnect it up front and test drive
for an internally collapsed muffler or clogged convertor. DO IT
BRIEFLY AND CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER. YOU COULD BE THROWING FIRE AT
THINGS YOU SHOULDN'T BE THROWING FIRE AT!

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

> No codes
>flashing....nothing. Maybe a sensor???

SHOULD set a code.

>Appreciate any ideas before going to the dealer.

Why not go to a good independent shop? There are tests like fuel
pressure, datastream scan etc. A good independent professional tech
will do better for you than the rookie of the week at the dealer. Of
course, I know nothing about the particular shops and dealers in your
area.