Old June 7th 05, 11:13 PM
Brent P

In article >, C. E. White wrote:

> Here is a simple way to resolve this:

Let me guess? Another scheme to discorage bicycling?

> Add up all the taxes and fees paid by people and business as
> a result of owning and operating motor vehicles

> Now from this sum subtract out all the money the government
> spends on roads, streets, parking facilities, enforcing
> motor vehicle laws (but not general laws), administering
> vehicle registrations and other motor vehicle laws, etc.,

> I am certain if you do this fairly, there will be money left
> over from the fees and taxes collected that are directly
> related to motor vehicles.

I am fairly certain there isn't.

> Now do the same for bikes.....

> If you are honest, I think you'll agree that bikes are a net
> drain on government resources.

Bicycles don't consume government resources. Especially in IL where
no road has to be maintained for the use of bicycles.

All 'bicycle facilities' are IMO, for motorists who want to ride every so
often and are too scared or for motorists who want to marginalize
bicyclists.

> I did see one funny thing in looking through motor vehicle
> laws as they apply to bicycles in North Carolina. All
> bicycles that are operated on public roads are required to
> have a front light - "Every bicycle shall be equipped with a
> lighted lamp on the front thereof, visible under normal
> atmospheric conditions from a distance of at least 300 feet
> in front of such bicycle, and shall also be equipped with a
> reflex mirror or lamp on the rear, exhibiting a red light
> visible under like conditions from a distance of at least
> 200 feet to the rear of such bicycle, when used at night." I
> hardly ever see a bicycle that meets this requirement.

-WHEN USED AT NIGHT-

The bicycle I used when I ride at night is so equiped. The other I only
ride in daylight. But here we go again with another stupid 'well I saw a
biker violate the vehicle code'. I only need to look at a road to see a
motorist do that. All the cars running around with burned out signal and
brake lamps, high beams on in traffic because the lows are burned out,
etc and so forth....

> And I
> have never seen the police pull over a bike rider for
> violating this law.

I've been pulled over because a cop decided that in his warped view I
wasn't allowed to use the roadway.

> But then they never seem to ticket them
> for running red lights, gutter riding or any of the other
> illegal and obnoxious behaviors that arrogant pedal cyclist
> routinely engage in.

I ride 100% legally and stated this earlier several times. This yet
another attempt at distraction. I see motorists run red lights, shoulder
pass, etc etc etc and I can count on one hand the number of times I've
seen them get pulled over for it.