Old March 9th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 87 325is issue...

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:51:58 -0500, Fred W
> wrote:

>Psycho wrote:
>> My son's 87 325is has developed an issue and I'm hoping for some
>> solid advice on where to look. I'll be putting it up on a lift
>> tomorrow and hope I can find the problem but I'm looking for advice
>> here. The car has developed what I can only describe as a hop type
>> vibration in the drivetrain. I can compare it to a u-joint vibration
>> but it's more intense. Things I'll be looking at tomorrow are the
>> guibo's and the axle half shafts. I know they have a CV joint in them
>> but I've never seen one do this. I also have a jingling coming from
>> the front tire but since the ABS light came on today I think the ABS
>> ring has come off the hub. I've heard people talk about this...
>> Thanks...

>I think you will find it is the guibo. When that goes it can cause a
>large offset in the driveline. It might also be one of the U joints,
>but not likely the center joint as that would just cause the floor of
>the car to shake. I'm sure it will be obvious when you start poking
>around...

Well, my suspicions (and all of yours) were correct. The guibo had
basically self destructed on me. Looks like I'll be going back to the
BMW dealership tomorrow to get a guibo ($70) and most likely a center
carrier bearing ($??). Can't see replacing one without the other and I
missed the cutoff for getting it the Bavarian Autosport for delivery
tomorrow...