Old May 29th 05, 02:43 AM
Stephen Cowell

"Joe & Glenda Dees" > wrote in message
> I have a 96 jeep Grand Cherokee with Automatic Heating and Air. The

Heater
> / Air Conditioner Blower continues to run after all switches are off and
> ignition off. The only way I can turn it off is by removing a forty amp
> fuse. Any suggestions on what might be at fault?

What speed does it run at? Can it still be controlled by the
computer module? If not....

My bet (plenty of guesses here!) is the blower speed control
module... you'll probably find it in the blower air stream, just
like the resistor pack would be on a discrete-speed blower
control switch circuit. It's probably got a shorted pass
transistor.

My old Taurus (may it rot in someone else's hell) had the climate-
control 'feature'... the stupid module was exposed to the elements
inside the blower airbox, and of course the circuit board corroded.
It has to have a big resistor, and a big transistor, and they have
to be able to dissipate lots of heat... what this really means, is,
don't *ever* buy a vehicle with a continuously variable blower
speed! Ford obsoleted the module, of course... I adapted a
resistor pack to fit the hole in the blower box, and put a low-high
switch in the glove box.

You'll probably want to replace the module... be prepared to
bend over for it. Shouldn't be too hard to locate it, and pull
it out... you can look at it and see the corrosion, if it's been
where mine was.

If you've ever turned your (normal switched) blower onto
the lowest speed, and felt it blowing hot air... you probably
did. That resistor pack dissipates some severe heat when
the thing's on low... that's why it's in the airstream, instead
of just under the dash.
__
Steve
..