Old July 24th 05, 07:11 PM
Kruse

> That Vega engine has to be one of the worst GM ever made. The metallurgy
> sounded very
> high tech, and the promise was there, but they were just no good.

Here's what GM <SHOULD> have done. Take the old four cylinder engine
from the Chevy II/Nova and put it in the Vega. That engine was very
reliable (I still use one for an every day driver in a '69 Nova) and
easily had enough power. Take all the money that they spent on the Vega
engine warranty program that was used on all the engines that they
replaced free of charge on the ones that failed before 50K miles and
use that money to perfect the Vega aluminum engine before they put it
on the market without testing it. If you can drop a small block Chevy
in the Vega and it will hold up, you could have easily used the old
Chevy II four cylinder engine without any problems.
Oh, wait. I forgot that this was GM.