Old June 24th 05, 03:56 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Bill Putney wrote:

> Hmmm - It's been a few years since I read the details, but my
> recollection is that the "Rocket" engines were identical to the Cheby
> engines except for the oil filter and the "Rocket" decal on the air
> filter

Er...*NO*, Bill.

The Olds engines were completely different -- down to every nut, bolt and
screw -- from the Chev engines, even though certain of them (e.g. the 350)
had the same piston displacement.

> My strong recollection is that they really were the same engine other
> than those things.

Your strong recollection is strongly incorrect. Perhaps you're
misremembering that starting in 1977, GM began installing various
divisions' engines in various divisions' cars without informing customers.
Had I ordered a '77 Olds with a 350 engine and received not the Olds
engine but the grossly inferior Chevrolet item, I'd've been ****ed enough
to sue, too.