Old December 16th 04, 03:24 AM
Warren Weber

"Tyler Durden" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I get out of the Army in a year and my wife and I plan to do nothing
> more than travel around the country visiting friends and blowing some
> savings. I've been kinda caged up in a uniform for 8 years, and it's
> time to decompress and get a little perspective. I envision the camper
> we travel in as representing the key that unlocks that cage. So this is
> important! See?
>
> That being said, I'm looking for something that can handle snow really
> well as we will ultimately end up landing in Alaska. I started this
> search because I was so enamored with the old VW Westphalia Syncro (an
> AWD VW camper van). But it occured to me that a 1992 (the last year
> they made them) model anything is too old. So my quest has led me to
> find the 4x4 Sportsmobile (www.sportsmobile.com) conversion vans and
> the GTRV folks in British Columbia (www.gtrv.com). They both seem to
> build some fantastic products, although they are a little pricey
> compared to the old Westies. Any opinions on these?
>
> My real concern that I can't kick is gas milage. I'm trying desperately
> to have my cake and eat it too. I want an AWD or 4x4 full camper
> (meaning at a minimum stove, water, fridge, sleeps 4) that will do at
> least 20 mpg. If all the stars aligned, someone out there knows how to
> make this happen. And yes, I realize this may spark the diesel debate -
> but I'd go diesel if it was designed for fuel efficiency as a first
> consideration instead of tourque (european style).
> What would you look at buying if you were me?

I have a 92 E250 pop top Sportsmobile extended body style. It is great. But
wish it was 4 wheel as we like the "back country" Sportsmobile people
(Texas) built it for us. Wonderful people to deal with. Built to our custom
wants. They do have a 4 wheel model now but don't know if diesel is
available. Give them a call. We picked Ford over Dodge due to the Ford
having a frame set up, not unibody. Unibody had much more road noise. W W