Old July 15th 05, 11:35 PM
Joe

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:
<snip>
> I usually try to get up by 8:30am (if I work late then I sleep
> later) and head downstairs and grab a jumbo cup of coffee. My wife
> leaves by 6:30am so the coffee is already in the pot. I grab a
> muffin and head to the couch where the laptop sets on the coffee
> table.

I take it you don't have kids or pets roaming around. If I left a
laptop on the coffee table, it'd have food, spilled gatorade, paw
prints all over it, and it'd be upside down on the floor in about a
dozen pieces.

> I check email, the Washington Post, Drudge Report, maybe a
> few newsgroups and then head to the basement with a refill of the
> jumbo coffee.

I do iced coffee out of my thermos I keep in the fridge. Two's
usually enough; any more and I'm too wired.

> Then I return any phone calls, make sure I have no
> meetings scheduled and then start working.

Unless I'm in the office, I don't do phone. E-mail has to suffice.
We're also hooked into one of those chat things for the company.

> I take a few breaks
> during the day. Time flies down stairs though. I think it's the
> lack of windows. I watch a combination of Fox News, History
> Channel, Science Channel, National Geographic Channel and A&E while
> I work.

I could never work with the TV or radio on. However, my desk is right
next to the sliding glass doors in the living room. I have a
panoramic view of our porch with the fish/turtle pond, and the back
yard with the "canal" behind it. The canal rarely has water, but it's
been pretty full for almost a month now because of the rain and
storms.

> I usually try and get a shower in before I have to take the
> dog out at 4:00pm to crap.

Hell, I'm not afraid to wander outside even right out of bed. Even
dogs scatter when they see me.

>> I work home Mondays and Fridays. Gave my boss the sob story of my
>> 3- hour commute per day down to Miami and back, not to mention
>> 14mpg in the torquemonster. She asked me if I could deal with two
>> days from home and I instantly said no problem.

> Telecommuting is nice. My wife did it 1-2 days a week before she
> was promoted and lost the perk. It was strange having both of us
> working from the house on her "home" days. It saves money to work
> from home but getting an extra 3 hours a day would be the real
> benefit for me.

When I'm home, I usually start anywhere between 6:30 and 8:30
depending on when I get up. During the summer, my wife's home
(teacher) so we get up later. But during school, we're usually up at
5:45am so I'm working by 6:30. Having my VPN into work, I can always
hook up and do whatever I have to at any time. So I usually end up
putting a few hours in here and there over the weekend regardless.

>>>I'm with you. I doubt anyone has read our last few posts anyway.
>>>Could it have been THAT boring?!?!

>> Well, I know Kate read a few of my comments from the other day...
>>

>> Hell, of course we're boring - we're both over 40.

> I believe you but I have to say that I don't FEEL that I'm boring.

Right! We're the most interesting people on the planet...