Old July 12th 05, 06:22 AM
Bob

> 1) How can I tell which axle ratio I have. It appears that the 3.73:1 is
> recommended.
> 2) How can I tell if I have a heavy duty tow package.

Check out this site. It describes the axle codes, and then just look at the
label on the driver's side door jamb. I forget which field is the axle, but
it's pretty easy to figure out.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

If you have the 7 pin (round) electrical connector and the 2" receiver then
you most likely do have the towing package (and the 3.73 rear end).

From what I've seen, the stock tow equipment (if there at all) is the 1.5"
receiver and the hitch is rated as Class II (as opposed to what Ford calls
the tow package's hitch as a Class III/IV).

There is also a tag on the differential itself that tells what it is (if all
else fails).

Bob